Thread: VIRaptor
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2001, 11:11 AM   #9
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Re: VIRaptor

I looked at VIM and although it's more impressive, I have the same feelings. The environment is *ok* but nothing really special. The water is cool, the mountains/hills are good but not spectacular.

The girl is detailed, especially her legs, but overall, I was shocked that she is composed of about 15 different objects, each with a few dozen polygons. This makes it look very unrealistic as there are seams between every one of these objects. I could understand 3D architecture like this years ago, but these days, a single model with bones and other control points inside it so you have flexing textures is just expected.

It's supposed to be a "brain simulator" but all she does is take a few very robotic steps and then stop. Then she takes a few more steps. She never breaks into a run, sits down, really takes a look around, walks up to a tree and leans next to it, never steps into the water up to her ankles and enjoys the water.

Maybe if I watched it longer I would be impressed.

The bunny isn't very realistic either.

Jim, set your modem to download overnight. The bird thing is about 8 megs compressed, so a little less than an hour. And the woman is only about 5 megs. (perplexingly, both screen savers are 12.4mb uncompressed)
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote