View Single Post
Old 09-29-2004, 10:27 AM   #39
Sergiales
Software Engineer

Originally posted by Jim Sachs
I use Lightwave 8.
The official web site has the v6. I don't know if the geometry file specification for LW6 is equal to the used by LW8...

Yes, the Selection Sets are what are important to me. I need for these points to be retained in the .X file,
I'm afraid that the .x file probably cannot handle extra info (as the selections, which seems to be a Lightwave's native property). As Morgan said, perhaps that extra info has to be stored in a companion file, not in the .x file itself.

...in exactly the same order they were originally selected.
Hmmm... why?. It doesn't make much sense to me. The idea is that after you've read the .x (and the extra file containing the selection sets), you should be able to mount a structure in memory to which you could access the way you want. That is, you could move the fish eye or fins whenever you want and in the order you want, independently of how is the data stored in the file. Do you understand (more or less) what i mean?

It's also vital that the original part names be retained (like leftfin, eye, etc.) Currently, LW to DX converters just throw everything into one mesh.
Are your models made from one single object, or from more than one?.

The Lightwave SDK comes with a geometry file reader (probably not fully functional). I'm going to take a look at it.
Sincerely,
Sergio.
Sergiales is offline   Reply With Quote