Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 07-26-2002, 04:58 PM   #1
CDV
Registered

Cool Jim Sach: how about a PC OpenGL version of Aquarium?

I've noticed that the new MacosX version of Aquarium is based on OpenGL, and I'd like to propose that you add GL support to the PC version as well, for those with older (currently non-working) vidcards such as Voodoo2 add-ins..

I'd also like to ask for your impressions from porting to MacosX.. Would you like to share your opinion on this OS with the forum? (for example if you would prefer a PC compatible MacosX to MS's WinXP, et cetera).

Last but not least, again a theoretical question. Considering MacosX is a Unix variant, how easy would it be porting Aquarium to Linux? I obviously understand that the target market among Linux users may be too small to justify the expense, but I'm really wondering on the ease (or lack thereof) of such a port.

Thanks for bearing with my questions, and good luck on your future Aquarium work..

Last edited by CDV; 07-26-2002 at 05:03 PM.
CDV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2002, 06:57 PM   #2
Jim Sachs
Developer

I didn't do the Mac port, so I can't really comment about the difficulty.
There's no real reason to switch from DirectX to OpenGL on the PC. DirectX has become the defacto standard, and has a much richer command library than OpenGL.
I don't see any reason to waste time on a Linux version. Linux users, while brilliant, do not buy software.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2002, 02:26 AM   #3
James
Principal Engineer as SDET

Location: Was in Auckland, New Zealand, Now in Taipei, Taiwan
Jim, remember the first time I join this forum that I asked u about DirectX and OpenGL, which is better to use, u said that DirectX has more binding capabilities than OpenGL, and now I'm use DirectX......and it's nice.....I forgot to thx u b4, so thx u.
James C Chen
Principal Engineer as SDET, Connected Services
HTC Corporation
88 Section 3. Zhongxing Road
Xindian District, New Taipei City 231, Taiwan
www.htc.com
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2002, 09:43 PM   #4
James
Principal Engineer as SDET

Location: Was in Auckland, New Zealand, Now in Taipei, Taiwan
btw, as I'm also a linux user (engineering issues force me to), I do buy some nice software to help my working environment, things such as Code Crusader which help me to write and compile and manage my C++ programming....also to develop the GUI, I also have to buy Glade or GDK+ developing kits....but it worth it...coz u pay a little to help u to creating good software and sell for big money. in the other hand, if there's a linux ver of SereneScreen I'll buy it too......=)
James C Chen
Principal Engineer as SDET, Connected Services
HTC Corporation
88 Section 3. Zhongxing Road
Xindian District, New Taipei City 231, Taiwan
www.htc.com
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2002, 01:37 AM   #5
feldon34
Forum Administrator

There will be some enhancements to the aquarium, specifically the GUI of the Settings panel.

This ties into Prolific Publishing's involvement in some of the coding of the Aquarium, which began in July of 2001. (was it that long ago? )
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2002, 02:21 AM   #6
memilm
Registered

Some of the windows users have also linux machines to work or try something on.
I'd like to see the aquarium running under wine or winex, but don't work for me. Could you try it James or other linux users?
memilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive