Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum

Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   [Bug: Awaiting Feedback] Beta 9k (2/25/2009)'s screen saver logo settings crash a lot! (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4808)

JamesGreystone 03-01-2009 10:28 AM

sigh I guess that means the Clams are on the back burner again..... :(

Ralph 03-01-2009 11:21 AM

Fixed the crash part... now back to those clams..:)..... Except, perhaps, there is still a bit of a bug / inconsistency.

If I select preview in the Windows Display Properties the SS will start.. in whichever mode I last had it in.. full or windowed... With any "Windows" SS any key press will close the preview mode and return to the Display Properties box.. Not so with MA3Beta.scr, it only responds to those keys the beta users are familiar with.

And.. if.. I had MA3Beta.scr running in a window.. I can close (cancel) the Display Properties window yet leave the MA3Beta.scr running. This is not an issue with the Windows SS because they all open full and any key press closes the SS.

Not a big deal... but inconsistent with normal Windows behavior. (normal being an oxymoron) :D

Note.. this is when MA3Beta.scr is copied to Windows\System32.. perhaps an installation may differ.

feldon34 03-01-2009 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Sachs (Post 111503)
Greying-out. Great, more programming.

Only if it saves you effort. Not if it creates more.

Instead of all these test conditions on making sure something is selected, I'd just have it so the buttons are greyed until the user selects an item in the playlist.

Up to you whichever is easier.

Dale 03-01-2009 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ralph (Post 111505)
Fixed the crash part... now back to those clams..:)..... Except, perhaps, there is still a bit of a bug / inconsistency.

If I select preview in the Windows Display Properties the SS will start.. in whichever mode I last had it in.. full or windowed... With any "Windows" SS any key press will close the preview mode and return to the Display Properties box.. Not so with MA3Beta.scr, it only responds to those keys the beta users are familiar with.

And.. if.. I had MA3Beta.scr running in a window.. I can close (cancel) the Display Properties window yet leave the MA3Beta.scr running. This is not an issue with the Windows SS because they all open full and any key press closes the SS.

Not a big deal... but inconsistent with normal Windows behavior. (normal being an oxymoron) :D

Note.. this is when MA3Beta.scr is copied to Windows\System32.. perhaps an installation may differ.

Let me see if I can encapsulate this "issue". (Jim, if I'm incorrectly stating it, let me know).

Jim does not consider this to be a Screen Saver. It's a high-quality aquarium simulation. The fact that it also runs as a Screen Saver is a "concession". (Although Jim also understands that the majority of purchasers think it's a Screen Saver).

It has Hot Keys for various functions. If pressing a Hot Key caused it to close, then that wouldn't be a Hot Key function.

Dale 03-01-2009 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Sachs (Post 111503)
Greying-out. Great, more programming.

Doing that would be unnecessary extra effort after you've already fixed the effect. However, it would be easier to do it that way "next time".

That's not a criticism - it seems obviousl that you don't really enjoy "just plain UI programming", although you know that "somebody's gotta do it".

Jim Sachs 03-01-2009 12:46 PM

Ralph - Regarding the way the hot keys work when bringing up the program in those different modes -- I think the program is behaving the way I designed it. Screensavers might work a little differently, but they don't have a Windowed Mode. Turning on "Exit on Mouse Move" also affects which keys will cause an exit.

The main thing we're looking for on this version is crashing bugs. This is the official version for the SereneScreen site, so it's very important that I get bugs fixed immediately upon discovery.

henemly 03-01-2009 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ant (Post 111483)
What if they want to enter 60 seconds? That's 50 clicks or so.

Only one if ya hold the button down when clicking.