Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum

Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Goldfish Aquarium 2 for Windows (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   ** Goldfish Aquarium version 6238 (Sep 30th)!!!** (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1985)

Reichart 09-30-2003 10:18 PM

New version 0.9 (6238)

0.9 (6238) 2003-9-30

• FIXED: Settings: Fixed bug where it could corrupt tank settings from the dialog box.
• FIXED: Tanks: Added Debris to Simple Tank.
• FIXED: Render: Fixed "The Pond" so it sorts correctly.
• FIXED: Movement: Put in new "The Pond" movement so that collisions shouldn't happen.
• FIXED: Movement: Fixed a bug that was making the "The Pond" fish too active.

Our goal is to go Version 1 tomorrow. So unless someone can find an actual bug, we are.

You can simply go download the most recent version.

LikeThemAll 10-01-2003 04:19 AM

Changing lightning / it's not saved

Hi there,

since a few versions there's
a bug which is a bit annoying:

If I change with arrow keys the
lightning, exit the screensaver
and start it again - it is on
"default" lightning.

Prior versions saved those
settings I am pretty sure.(?)

This is the only thing
I don't like, in general
your product is AMAZING!!!

best regards
LikeThemAll

Panthera 10-01-2003 04:38 AM

I've experienced that same thing too.

Pushwall 10-01-2003 06:41 AM

Version 1 soon.......very cool! :)

One VERY minor thing. I was wondering why The Pond has 10 fish while the Big Tank only has 5. Because the fish are so small, I would think (and as always am probably wrong!) that you could easily put 10 fish in the Big Tank without framerates decreasing too much or having collision detection problems with the fish. It'd look better too since the Big Tank looks kinda sparse with only 5 tiny fish.

Reichart 10-01-2003 10:58 AM

Max fish per tank

The max number of fish in a given tank is set by the artist. Who watches it over a period of time, and concludes if something is "too" busy, or unbalanced.

this is one of those, "just because you can, does not mean you should."

Xylem 10-01-2003 11:41 AM

Hello Reichart,

Yes, GA is indeed a wonderful work of art, and I respectfully defer to the artist in all matters artistic.

In addition, though, and given my experiences with GA and the comments in this thread I wonder if I might offer some comments:

1. I downloaded the latest update twice before I got the right one. Would it be possible to put the build number in the title of the d/l rather than just "v0.9"?

2. Although it is fun to 'play' with the program, there is some confusion about settings, the meaning of various things in the config panel, and the exquisite capabilities of the program. Would it be possible, then, for the inclusion of a more comprehensive 'help' file, or even a .pdf manual, to help the handicapped among us :)

3. After loading the last update the tank sequences were set to default, which is no problem. But when I began to rearrange them to my preference I realized that the names of the various tanks are confusing, especially when rearranged in an order other than default.

Might I suggest this naming convention, so that it makes sense regarless ot the order one chooses:

CLEAR TANK
SPARSE PLANTING
MEDIUM PLANTING
LUSH PLANTING ("the tank")
POND
LARGE TANK

I thank you for listening, and hope you realize this is offered in the spirit of community and that no criticism is intended. This program is a wonderful work of art. If it wasn't, I wouldn't care so much.

Regards, -Tom

Pushwall 10-01-2003 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Reichart
The max number of fish in a given tank is set by the artist. Who watches it over a period of time, and concludes if something is "too" busy, or unbalanced.
Reichart, I agree that aesthetics are everything, especially in this very beautiful screensaver. If your artists believe that more goldfish in the Big Tank lowers the pleasing effect of the aquarium, then I guess I have to say,..."Keep it at five fish!". :)

cjmaddy 10-01-2003 12:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've noticed this small green triangle on the last few versions, it looks a little out of place to me. Rather like a small piece of plant leaf that's been cut off! - Perhaps I'm being too pernickety! :)

Mountainmaster 10-01-2003 02:32 PM

Re: New version 0.9 (6238)

Quote:

Originally posted by Reichart
Our goal is to go Version 1 tomorrow. So unless someone can find an actual bug, we are.
Well, roseangel clearly described an actual bug but it is not fixed in 6238:
Quote:

Originally posted by roseangel
"if the other tank is adjusted, and then you return to "the tank" and press OK without making any other changes, the previous tank's details overwrite "the tank". This will work with any tank."
And:
Quote:

Originally posted by roseangel
"In the latest version (6218) the settings panel can be used to set all the tanks in turn, by clicking on the tank you want in the tank configuration menu, then changing to the fish selection menu.

This works perfectly to set each tank individually, and there is no problem when you press the OK when set to the last tank that was modified, but if you return to a tank which was NOT modified before pressing the OK, the settings for the unmodified tank are overwritten."

Reichart 10-01-2003 04:50 PM

1. I downloaded the latest update twice before I got the right one. Would it be possible to put the build number in the title of the d/l rather than just "v0.9"

A: this is only a problem for Close to release Betas. Adding the hidden part into the name causes some problems for us.
The real question is, why did the download fail?

2. Although it is fun to 'play' with the program, there is some confusion about settings, the meaning of various things in the config panel, and the exquisite capabilities of the program. Would it be possible, then, for the inclusion of a more comprehensive 'help' file, or even a .pdf manual, to help the handicapped among us A: We plan to update the FAQ to explain all of this.

3. After loading the last update the tank sequences were set to default, which is no problem. But when I began to rearrange them to my preference I realized that the names of the various tanks are confusing, especially when rearranged in an order other than default.
A: We have updated these.

Liath 10-02-2003 08:06 AM

Arrgh!....thanks alot Cliff. It took me a long time to find the triangle. Now its driving me crazy :)

I haven't had any problems with my lighting savings.

cjmaddy 10-02-2003 09:14 AM

Dappled Light Play Bug ?

"Simple Tank" (and others with gravel, but less than maximum plants), have no dappled light play on the area of gravel that was previously planted! ... I can understand what's happened, but it looks quite strange on the Simple Tank!

Liath,
Sorry about the triangle! .... it drives me nuts too! - Once you know it's there, it's the first thing you see! :rolleyes:

Wizwad 10-09-2003 08:48 AM

With regard to the green triangle, I'm just assuming that as there are white gravel and brown gravel, so there also happens to be a bit of green gravel. Maybe it's got moss growing on it! I notice it if I look for it, but with the rationale given above it doesn't bother me. :)

IXNAY 10-09-2003 10:03 AM

Uhm I noticed that between the big rock and the small rock there is a part wich seems to be double. Just about ten parts of the gravel, looks unnatural if you noticed once.
Don't like the green triangle too, sorry maybe I'm a bit hard with the developers but that's not perfect as it could be :)

Hey does Prolific plan to do more gravelthemes? Like coloured gravel???

Xylem 10-09-2003 10:31 AM

Ixnay-

That's the spot I pointed out in the bug reports (which have now disappeared) some time ago. I called it "opaque gravel" because when a fish swam through there ( it has to be behind the rocks) you could see a cloudy image (of the gravel?) superimposed on the fish.

I only saw this a couple of times, because you have to wait so long for a fish to swim through there. It may have been fixed (or I may have imagined it :) ); but keep an eye on that spot and see if you can see it.

BTW, I now have v1.0 !!!!! What an amazing screensaver.

IXNAY 10-09-2003 12:53 PM

No no, thats not the thing I mean. There is a part of gravel wich is double between the rocks. You can always see it. Seems like this is a copy and paste thing when the background was done.
Just look between the rocks and search for pieces of gravel wich are exactly the same.

Xylem 10-09-2003 01:35 PM

Yes, I see that too; looks like the number '3' with a couple of pebbles inside each loop. But that's exactly where I saw the other thing I described. I wonder if they are related?

Panthera 10-09-2003 04:22 PM

Yes I see it too! It does look like a copy/paste or "clone" job. But I can see the seams from that copy/paste, almost like the shape of a square. How weird, and I as soon as I looked at it again, a fish swam through and you can see a ghost like image that appears over the fish.

Xylem 10-09-2003 07:36 PM

Thank god, Panthera. At least I'm not hallucinating :)

My 'bug' report has disappeared, but hopefully somebody with influence will peruse this thread, eh?

cjmaddy 10-10-2003 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Panthera
Yes I see it too! It does look like a copy/paste or "clone" job. But I can see the seams from that copy/paste, almost like the shape of a square. How weird, and I as soon as I looked at it again, a fish swam through and you can see a ghost like image that appears over the fish.
The 'horizon' of the gravel appears to be repeated numerous times across the back of the tank. - I don't see this as a bug or as a problem, but the '3' is a little obvious, and could perhaps be disguised better. I think there are other more important niggles, like the lack of light play in some areas. ..... But that's just my opinion! :)

http://www.cjmaddy.co.uk/camera/fish...cksonly_x3.jpg

I haven't seen the "... ghost like image that appears over the fish." yet, but I shall keep a lookout!