Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum

Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   History of Versions for Serene Screen (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3442)

Eddy'sEddy 02-25-2006 11:05 AM

History of Versions for Serene Screen

Is there a current list of all the versions and their dates created located somewhere on the forum? Back in February 2000 on serenescreen.com there was a list, starting with the first early versions of 8-24-00 thru Version 1.1 in 2-200.

feldon34 02-25-2006 03:04 PM

www.feldoncentral.com/Sachs/
and click on News Archive.

I really should put the initial release of the Aquarium even tho I wasn't around for that.

Eddy'sEddy 02-25-2006 05:29 PM

Thanks for answering my question. I first bought the Aquarium, Version 99D, back in October, 2000. I first saw the aquarium on all the display computers at an Office Depot in my area.. A sales clerk was nice enough to give me the info I needed to find the aquarium online and purchase it. I also have been with your forum since the beginning. I have enjoyed it very much and have learned a lot. I am a reader not a talker. Thanks again!!

Dave Snotear 02-26-2006 12:23 AM

Hey Morgan...It,s been a while since I posted anything but I,ve been keeping up with the FORUM...The earliset versions I can find on my computer are aquarium999 dated 08-25-2000 and Aquarium99A dated 08-30-2000.They then continue on through MAquarium-V2-MD dated 05-24-2004.I also have a large number of HTML documents from www.fish-byte.com dated as far back as November 24,2000.Hoping to soon be receiving an email with a new keycode.Keep up your good work and don't let all this whining get to you.It happens almost every time there is an update.Later.

Jim Sachs 02-26-2006 12:42 AM

You realize of course that Morgan has absolutely nothing to do with handing out Key Codes. Posting a message like this in the Forum really does nothing. Prolific employees are way too swamped to read the Forum, with the occasional exception of Edgar (looking for bugs), and Jim R. (making announcements). Even if Auden, the Customer-Support guy were to read your message, how would he go about looking up your case file? He would need your personal info (order number, old Key Code, real name, SOMETHING!) to query the database. A web alias just won't do it.

Dave Snotear 02-26-2006 02:40 AM

Whoa there Jim.All I was doing was entering some information into this thread and making a comment to Morgan that I was patiently waiting to hear from Prolific.If they don't contact me in a few days I will then make an attempt to contact them.I know that neither Morgan or for that matter you issue keycodes and it was not my intention to attempt to get one in this manner.Take a deep breath and relax.I'm one of the most easygoing people you'll ever meet and don't wish to make a trying situation like issuing new keycodes to some very impatient people any more difficult than it already is.Have a nice weekend.

Furthermore I am not ignorant of the procedures to update this program and would not attempt to handle my business in the manner you describe in your post.
Thanks for your time.
Jim Clarke

Socrates 02-26-2006 03:04 AM

I think Jim took your post in the wrong context maybe??

patscarr 02-26-2006 06:02 AM

I was going to ask Jim Sachs who he was typing to because it didn't seem to me that it could be aimed toward Jim Clarke.

Jim Sachs 02-26-2006 08:07 AM

Sorry, Jim Clarke. I did take it the wrong way, but we get hundreds of such messages that are for real, though usually filled with profanity. Those usually get passed on to Reichart, who has an unusual way of dealing with them. He actually counts the number of times each profane word is used, and replies using the same number (minus one, so that he can't be accused of escalation). Irate customers are usually taken aback, "Hey, you can't talk to me like that!" Ha, ha - Reichart finds it very therapeutic, but I wouldn't.

cjmaddy 02-26-2006 08:58 AM

When are you having a holiday, Jim? ... ;)

Socrates 02-26-2006 11:35 AM

the oldest verson I personally I have is 99D dated 12-1-2000. I do't keep old download files for too many things, but this one is obviously very different from most things.

cjmaddy 02-26-2006 11:51 AM

I thought I was the only hoarder of things like that! - My earliest is Aquarium99L.exe 13/09/01 (9-13-2001) ... You must be older than me! :D

feldon34 02-27-2006 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Socrates
I think Jim (Sachs) took your post in the wrong context maybe??

Jim Clarke started with "Morgan..." and then talked about the update, and to 'not worry about whining', etc.. I'm just a journalist covering another stumble by Prolific. Don't kill the messenger. :)

Jim Clarke's comments, as on-point as they may be, are best addressed to Jim Sachs or Prolific. :)

I have lots of archived betas of the Aquarium including an aborted attempt at a teenage Queen Angel. There's a pic around here somewhere (you didn't miss much, the current one is simply the best). And of course the first betas of the Lionfish which routinely teleported through the coral until Jim gutted and rewrote the collision avoidance code.

Wizwad 02-28-2006 07:10 AM

Quote:

the Lionfish which routinely teleported through the coral until Jim gutted and rewrote the ... code
I read that and first thought :eek: and then thought about it and wondered - is that why, when we click on 'wireframe', that we don't see the fish's internal organs - they've been gutted?
:D;):D

Lostboy 03-03-2006 10:15 PM

A little trip down memory lane; 3Dfiles.com is where I first heard about it in September 2000, I think it was version .99D or so. Been hooked ever since.

http://web.archive.org/web/200010182...aquarium.shtml

Tiny Turtle 03-03-2006 10:39 PM

The link didn't work for me. Are you sure you got it right?

/Tiny 404

Lostboy 03-03-2006 11:15 PM

hmmm... works for me for some reason...

basically it's just this page, but a little earlier.

cjmaddy 03-04-2006 05:02 AM

Re: A little trip down memory lane ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lostboy
A little trip down memory lane; 3Dfiles.com is where I first heard about it in September 2000, I think it was version .99D or so. Been hooked ever since.

http://web.archive.org/web/200010182...aquarium.shtml

Wow! - Date Added: 09/01/00, Downloaded: 249754 Times, .... And that was then!!!

I can't imagine what the total downloads must be by now! - I guess you could call it a success! ;)

..... And rightly so! :TU:

ps, - I like the company name, - 'Sachs Enterprises' ;)

feldon34 03-04-2006 08:21 AM

2-3 million easy.

Jim Sachs 03-04-2006 11:56 AM

In 2000, it held the record for the quickest program to reach a million downloads from 3DFiles alone. Versions of the program are hosted on many more sites now. I'd guess total downloads are in the 20-30 million range, but it could be ten times that. Of course, an incredibly small fraction end up purchasing. Most are happy with the free demo. The one thing that really surprises me is that sales are amazingly STEADY. It's like selling life insurance - everyone has their own wildly different personal story, but with a large enough pool the Law of Big Numbers takes over, and you can count on the outcome.