Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum

Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Marine Aquarium 2 for Mac OS X Archive (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   $22 for a beta screensaver?! (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=971)

Unregistered 07-21-2002 01:59 PM

$22 for a beta screensaver?!

I really love this program but I have a really hard time spending $22 for one screensaver. I realize you get the "program" too but it's not like you can do anything with it like some of the other aquarium programs, like feed the fish or interact with them in any way. Not to mention it's still in beta, talk about highway robbery. "Here, please test our product for us and in return you'll need to pay us $22. Sure, it could mess up your system, but let us know what you think....." The $12.95 number was much more reasonable but I guess the first 1000 are gone because I see no where to order it for that price. Just my .02!

Tiny Turtle 07-21-2002 02:52 PM

Guess there are a few of us enjoying the idea of being robbed here on the side of the highway...

/Tiny Robbery

feldon34 07-21-2002 02:55 PM

There are 5-6 bugs that have been listed, only one of them serious. They all have workarounds and an updated version will be out shortly to deal with them.

I think you will have a find time finding any other Aquarium screen saver out there that looks 1/10th as good as this one.

Other screen savers may allow you to feed the fish, but the developer(s) spent all their time programming that. Jim Sachs spent all his time getting the realism.

Jim Sachs 07-21-2002 10:16 PM

Yes, the first 1000 went very quickly, and the price reverted to the normal $21.95, just like the PC version. Mac sales did not decrease after the normal price was adopted.

Price-point is always a hotly debated subject, but it seems obvious that as long as sales are strong, there's no reason to decrease the price.

I really like the latest Aston-Martin. It's $250,000. I don't complain about the price, in fact I wish them well. I just won't be buying one.

Tiny Turtle 07-22-2002 07:32 AM

Interesting thing to mention Aston-Martin and price-point in the same sentence. Those English chaps sure make (insanely) fine automobiles, but they're not overly interested in making enough money to end up with any profit... ;)

/Tiny Profit

Socrates 07-22-2002 01:15 PM

Re: $22 for a beta screensaver?!

Quote:

Originally posted by Unregistered
I really love this program but I have a really hard time spending $22 for one screensaver. I realize you get the "program" too but it's not like you can do anything with it like some of the other aquarium programs, like feed the fish or interact with them in any way. Not to mention it's still in beta, talk about highway robbery. "Here, please test our product for us and in return you'll need to pay us $22. Sure, it could mess up your system, but let us know what you think....." The $12.95 number was much more reasonable but I guess the first 1000 are gone because I see no where to order it for that price. Just my .02!
Well. I guess you could just wait for 1.1