Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum

Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   PCHealth Scheduler (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1158)

teac 12-15-2002 09:21 AM

PCHealth Scheduler

The PCHealth Scheduler in Windows don't start if Aquarium is enabled.

By default, the scheduler start after 4-5 min. if the PC is idle, and again after 9 min. It run twise in 24 hour.The Aquarium is set to start after 12 minutes.

Why is that?

teac 12-17-2002 06:47 PM

No response.. maybe my english typing isn't good enought?

I'm using Windows ME, and since this Scheduled Task is _build_in in the OS, I dont want to disable it for ever.

I purchased the Aquarium1.1 after only wieving the demo. 5 minutes, because it was the best screensaver I ever have seen..

I dont think I'm the onlyone have notice this error, bug, orwhatever?

Even sent mail to SSA-support, have not respone to my mail..

*AOpen MB*
*Duron 950*
*GF2-400-64MB*
*Apacer 512MBRAM*

Jim Sachs 12-17-2002 06:56 PM

Anybody else out there using WinME who has experience with this?

Socrates 12-17-2002 07:52 PM

Are we talking about Task Scheduler?

If so, I never had a problem with scheduled tasks running on ME because of SSA.

55MHz 12-17-2002 09:18 PM

If i may ask, what do you use Task Scheduler for?

Jav400 12-17-2002 09:28 PM

I used to set mine to do virus updates and complete scans in the middle of the night when I didn't have to be bothered with it.

Socrates 12-17-2002 11:25 PM

On win9x machines you mostly use it to schedule Disk Scaning and Defragmenting. On Win9x, the Critical Update thing relies on this (or did they change that). Can schedule any program and do cool stuff like come out of sleep to do it, etc.

On Win2K servers, I often use it to stagger services that can conflict on startup.

Every program that runs things on a interval SHOULD use task scheduler to run the program only when the apporpriate time comes instead of staying resident in memory eternally.

Jim Sachs 12-18-2002 12:00 AM

Teac's question is regarding interference with the automatic startup time for the PCHealth scheduler. Does anyone have any personal experience with this problem? I don't see any way that a screensaver which is set to come on at 12 minutes can affect any timer which is set to come on at 4 minutes. There is no part of the program that is even in memory until it is time to launch it.

Tiny Turtle 12-18-2002 12:34 AM

Teac,
Your English works out just fine. People weren't too sure about your problem, that's all.

Guys,
Task Scheduler and PC Health Scheduler aren't the same thing. The latter is a built in thingy that gathers information about your Windows for "System Restore" and such. (It's extra messy on a Brand PC like Dell or Compaq) After what I've read on the net it seems like a major nuiscance (runs every ten minutes and interfers with for instance CD burning). It's a major resource hog, but can't be disabled (it runs even when "System Restore" is unchecked). This really is kinda weird – Most people want to remove PC Health Scheduler and now it's the other way around. Hmmm...

More reading here:
http://www.computing.net/windowsme/w...forum/295.html
and here:
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=PC...ftngp03&rnum=1

/Tiny Health

teac 12-18-2002 11:44 AM

Hi, thanx for all feedback.

Yes, as Mr. Sachs say, I have set the the time for Aquarium to come on after 12 min. or higher.

Somebody ask what this task do, and why I use it. But as Tiny T. point out, it is build_in in OS.

I can also tell you that I experience the same kind of problem with an other program/application some time ago. It was socalled "desktop dancers" from MP3dancer.com This program go on when you launch some sound to your speakers.

Can it be some kind of soundcard issue? hmm

I will give SSA a second chance, and let it be enabled in my system for several days, and see if PCHealth scheduler win the battle. :-)

teac 12-18-2002 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Tiny Turtle
Teac,
Your English works out just fine. People weren't too sure about your problem, that's all.

Guys,
Task Scheduler and PC Health Scheduler aren't the same thing. The latter is a built in thingy that gathers information about your Windows for "System Restore" and such. (It's extra messy on a Brand PC like Dell or Compaq) After what I've read on the net it seems like a major nuiscance (runs every ten minutes and interfers with for instance CD burning). It's a major resource hog, but can't be disabled (it runs even when "System Restore" is unchecked). This really is kinda weird – Most people want to remove PC Health Scheduler and now it's the other way around. Hmmm...

More reading here:
http://www.computing.net/windowsme/w...forum/295.html
and here:
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=PC...ftngp03&rnum=1

/Tiny Health

Interesting links, Tiny. New info.

Tiny Turtle 12-18-2002 04:16 PM

It seems like I only complain on the programs you use, Teac, but have you run Lavasoft Ad-Aware after installing those dancers? A little bird whispered in my ear that those were full of spyware and other junk. Might want to check it out. I don't think it's got anything to do with the sound-card (Could be wrong of course). If you choose a different screen-saver than the Aquarium, does PC Health kick back into action? If you remove the Aquarium completely? (Including using the registry cleaner (right-click and choose save)) Keep at it and we'll crack this one...

/Tiny Trouble-shooting

lasermail 12-18-2002 07:04 PM

PC Health / Restore points are heavily dependant on available hard drive space, I vaguely recall that certain conditions can cause the feature can disable itself? By chance is your free hard drive space getting low? Have you had any Windows error messages recently?

teac 12-18-2002 07:40 PM

Hi Tiny, it almost a year since I have those desktop-dancers on my screen. (and I have the registered no_nude version). I never recognized any spyware or things like that. I would guess it's maybe a problem with "Virtual Girls", from the same webpage (mp3dancer.com). Even have formatted my computer two times or so, since.

Tiny T. ask; ""If you choose a different screen-saver than the Aquarium, does PC Health kick back into action?""

Yes, they does. (they allow PCH. in the first place to run after 8 min. of idle.)

From the link you post(groups.google);

""[Pchschd.exe ]..This program simply
checks when run to see if your system is currently idle, if not it then
simply checks again in 10 minutes. If however the system is idle and has
been for the last few minutes it launches winmgmt.exe which collects details
of the current system configuration after which pchschd is set to check
again in six hours. ""

And, Jim Sachs; ""..There is no part of the program (Aquarium) that is even in memory until it is time to launch it.""

Maybe my system needs to be 110% idle. ;-)

teac 12-18-2002 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by lasermail
PC Health / Restore points are heavily dependant on available hard drive space, I vaguely recall that certain conditions can cause the feature can disable itself? By chance is your free hard drive space getting low? Have you had any Windows error messages recently?
Have a 20 GB harddrive, 15 GB free space.

In my view it would be nice if PC H. disabled itself. :-)

teac 12-18-2002 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Tiny Turtle
If you remove the Aquarium completely?

/Tiny Trouble-shooting

It's no need to remove Aquarium completely, just disable it in >screen >properties >no screensaver., and re-boot the computer. Then PC Health run the task as it should.

cjmaddy 12-19-2002 07:19 AM

Just curious, ...... is this (PC Health) doing a similar sort of job to 'GoBack' ?

I swear by GoBack, it's right at the top of my must have list, - never causes any problems at all. I would recommend it to anyone, - it's an absolute life saver! :TU:

If it is similar, why do most people want to remove it ? ...... just curious! :confused:

Tiny Turtle 12-19-2002 09:09 AM

N67, try the upper link in my first post in this thread.

Tiny Linking

lasermail 12-19-2002 12:14 PM

In my view it would be nice if PC H. disabled itself. :-)

There's a freebie utility that enables you to close/kill/protect running programs (and this includes applications that run hidden in the background)

Using this you disable PC.H as it suits you?

>>http://home.ptd.net/~don5408/toolbox/enditall/

teac 12-19-2002 12:51 PM

There is no running app. to kill, it never start! :)

If I ever going to disable this PC Health app., I will do it from >controlpanel>scheduled task, and also uncheck the entry in >MSConfig >startup.