Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum

Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Jim Sach: how about a PC OpenGL version of Aquarium? (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=985)

CDV 07-26-2002 04:58 PM

Jim Sach: how about a PC OpenGL version of Aquarium?

I've noticed that the new MacosX version of Aquarium is based on OpenGL, and I'd like to propose that you add GL support to the PC version as well, for those with older (currently non-working) vidcards such as Voodoo2 add-ins..

I'd also like to ask for your impressions from porting to MacosX.. Would you like to share your opinion on this OS with the forum? (for example if you would prefer a PC compatible MacosX to MS's WinXP, et cetera).

Last but not least, again a theoretical question. Considering MacosX is a Unix variant, how easy would it be porting Aquarium to Linux? I obviously understand that the target market among Linux users may be too small to justify the expense, but I'm really wondering on the ease (or lack thereof) of such a port.

Thanks for bearing with my questions, and good luck on your future Aquarium work..:)

Jim Sachs 07-26-2002 06:57 PM

I didn't do the Mac port, so I can't really comment about the difficulty.
There's no real reason to switch from DirectX to OpenGL on the PC. DirectX has become the defacto standard, and has a much richer command library than OpenGL.
I don't see any reason to waste time on a Linux version. Linux users, while brilliant, do not buy software.

James 07-27-2002 02:26 AM

Jim, remember the first time I join this forum that I asked u about DirectX and OpenGL, which is better to use, u said that DirectX has more binding capabilities than OpenGL, and now I'm use DirectX......and it's nice.....I forgot to thx u b4, so thx u.

James 08-17-2002 09:43 PM

btw, as I'm also a linux user (engineering issues force me to), I do buy some nice software to help my working environment, things such as Code Crusader which help me to write and compile and manage my C++ programming....also to develop the GUI, I also have to buy Glade or GDK+ developing kits....but it worth it...coz u pay a little to help u to creating good software and sell for big money. in the other hand, if there's a linux ver of SereneScreen I'll buy it too......=)

feldon34 08-18-2002 01:37 AM

There will be some enhancements to the aquarium, specifically the GUI of the Settings panel.

This ties into Prolific Publishing's involvement in some of the coding of the Aquarium, which began in July of 2001. (was it that long ago? :))

memilm 08-19-2002 02:21 AM

Some of the windows users have also linux machines to work or try something on.
I'd like to see the aquarium running under wine or winex, but don't work for me. Could you try it James or other linux users?