Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum

Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Screen Saver shuts down programs (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2687)

doggone1 10-24-2004 03:41 PM

Screen Saver shuts down programs

Hi,

I have been a registered user of SS for a number of years and I have noticed recently a strange behaviour with the program (or Windows XP Pro SP2) once it returns out of screen saver mode.

If I have a program open it will close it if it is minimised.

If no programs are open the shut down option screen will appear and requires cancelling. It is as though a close program call is being made and windows interprets this as to apply an already open program or windows itself.

This strange behaviour has only manifest itself in the last week or so and I suspect it more to do with a recent Windows XP update than with your program, but this type of thing does not happen with any other screen saver.

Hopefully it is an issue that you are aware of and can be sorted out quickly.

All the best,
Tom

Sergiales 10-24-2004 04:03 PM

It's really strange indeed...

If you never noticed it before with SP1 or earlier, you can firstly think that the problem is with SP2.

Try this:
- Locate the main file (c:\windows\system32\MarineAquarium*.scr).
- Double click that file (then the program is launched).
- Now press [Escape] or move the mouse in order to shut down the scrensaver.
- What happens?

If you don't get the same problem executing it "manually", then perhaps there is a problem with SP2 and the screensaver launcher (under the Windows video options).

doggone1 10-24-2004 06:10 PM

Hi Sergio,

I tried your test and you seem to be right.

Any solutions?

Best regards,
Tom

Sergiales 10-25-2004 03:24 PM

It's obvious that the problem isn't with the SP2 at all, since you stated before that other screensavers work (and exit) correctly.

The second question is: is there any other person experimenting the same problem as you?. I mean, the problem could be (for example) with a 3rd-party software or video driver you've installed.

Third question: have you tried other products from Prolific? (Goldfish, Sharks). Getting the same results? or the problem is ONLY with the Saltwater aquarium?. As far as i know, both MA, GA or Sharks "could" be sharing the same sourcecode for tasks like "unloading" and "exiting" the program (just an hypothesis).

Definitively, if you love this screensaver and don't get too annoyed with that problem, perhaps a (temporary?) solution is going back to SP1. It's up to you.

patscarr 10-26-2004 09:35 AM

No, no, no. Don't go back to SP1. Keep SP2, keep reporting your bug problems and stuff here, and keep helping Prolific to fix it, if it is there problem. They'll have to fix it eventually anyways since everyone will have SP2 someday.

Edgar 10-26-2004 03:21 PM

I agree with Patrick, don't revert back to SP1. We will look at the bug to see what is causing this in your computer. Does it close the same program all the time or different ones?
Run DXDiag and send me a log report. Make sure you run the 2D and 3D test.
This is so I have the system info to compare with. I think I am not having that problem.

handimannbob 10-27-2004 10:29 AM

hi.....i don't think it relates to this problem, but that update stops people from using pogo games.i used system restore and eveything is fine again. lol, just thought i'd mention this....probably a security issue with the pogo site and not a bug

doggone1 10-29-2004 05:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Guys,
Sorry for the delay in replying.

Firstly, I would like to thank you for all your suggestions.

Secondly, Both my regestered copies of Goldfish and Sharks seem to produce the same result. I thought at first that this behaviour seemed to be related to the MD version. (Even though I don't use multiple monitors I still like the effect on my 21" screen.)

If I use any of the other screen savers that come with Windows XP I don't get these problems. Also other 3D screensavers don't display these effects.

Thirdly, I have attached the DXDiag.txt as requested.

All the best and happy bug hunting!

Regards,
Tom

doggone1 10-31-2004 11:15 PM

I think I fixed it?!

I have been experimenting with other setups on some other computers I have access to and I beleive the problem was caused when I installed the MD version on my system which already had the non-MD version installed.

I uninstalled all instances of Marine, Sharks and Goldfish and their respective registry keys. I then re-started my computer and downloaded all three screen-savers from their respective sites and installed them on my machine.

After entering my registration code all seems fine. I will let you know if I encounter any problems.

Regards,
Tom

Tiny Turtle 11-01-2004 02:29 AM

Yay!!!!!

Glad for you!

/Tiny Jump for Joy

drfish 11-01-2004 04:17 AM

Ahh! For the love of God, Tiny don't jump for joy! My eyes my eyes!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Time to change that avatar back isn't it?

Tiny Turtle 11-01-2004 05:43 AM

:D :D :D
I guess...

Surferminn 11-01-2004 07:18 AM

:D!!:D!:D!LOL!!! guess it's time for all of us to change back. will do so when I get to work in couple of hours. have to go get ready for work now. :D:D:D!! nice one, Tiny.. :D p.s. when you change your profile, you might want to correct typo in your signature on people ....or not. thanks for the morning chuckle, doc!! :D! RFLOL!!

drfish 11-01-2004 08:27 AM

One person out of hundreds who've seen Tiny's sig thousands of times catches the typo.

Jav400 11-01-2004 09:09 AM

I can't get past the glaring avatar to read anything else. :)

cjmaddy 11-01-2004 12:32 PM

You should leave it in Tina, it read perfectly normally to me! ;);)

Lysdexia rlues KO! :D

Tiny Turtle 11-01-2004 01:16 PM

Thanks Minnie, I've been waiting for that comment for more than a week now... :)

/Tiny Test

Surferminn 11-01-2004 01:23 PM

Actually, I spotted it about a week ago but didn't want to look like I was running around correcting folks' english. saw what happened to patscarr... It was kinda hard to miss that "l" sticking out like a sore thumb after ur "o" when it should've been properly placed behind ur "p". so glad to have an appropriate time and place to mention it above. now I can stop twisting about everytime I see it. Since we're on the topic, don't know if you want to also put a period at the end and maybe move sentence to the left margin. :D and maybe change 6 seconds to 2 to 4 seconds as it takes me max 4 seconds when I deliberately read it slowly word by word. unless you think that 9 out 10 folks read slowly. ;)

also, I think folks kinda cut you some slack on any boo-boos you might make since your english is practically perfect everytime, not just saying that. :)

p.s. dogone1 -- happy you fixed your screen shut down problem too!

Tiny Turtle 11-01-2004 03:17 PM

But that was a test! I thought it was hilarious (I know, I'm twisted) and was hoping for a comment. Thanks for the compliment. Perhaps the extra two seconds are the time takes to re-read the typo? :) I kind of like the centered look – it's more on its own like that...

/Tiny Failure

Surferminn 11-01-2004 03:31 PM

:rolleyes: well, now that the cat's out of the bag, you're going to have to really rise early in the morning with the next one. :D