Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum

Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Any way to do this? (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3895)

Liamtg 01-04-2007 01:27 AM

Any way to do this?

Hi, newbie here. Is there any way to load my screen saver to a disk that I can play on my dvd player? I would like to play it on my big screen TV during parties. I also want an auto-repeat so I don't have to reset it every couple of hours. I don't even know how much time I would get from a single play on a computer disk. I'm not that computer savy, so I wanted to ask if this was possible before I drove myself crazy trying to do it.

Thanks folks!

feldon34 01-04-2007 08:14 AM

This is actually extremely complicated to do.

You would have to find software that records the Aquarium running and captures all those frames of animation from the DirectX/Direct3D overlay and is able to record 30fps for up to an hour without dropping lots of frames.

As far as I know, this software does not exist.

Most people setup a cheap computer in their home theater, living room, office, etc. to drive the monitor. Then instead of the average quality of DVD (720 x 480), you get the full res of 1280 x 720 from the Aquarium.

Tiny Turtle 01-04-2007 09:40 AM

There was actually a DVD version released a while back. Avoid it like the plague though as it is in 4:3 format and not utilizing any of the capabilities of the DVD format.

feldon34 01-04-2007 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiny Turtle
There was actually a DVD version released a while back. Avoid it like the plague though as it is in 4:3 format and not utilizing any of the capabilities of the DVD format.

After 2 years of "Coming Soon", you can now buy it, with all the caveats mentioned by Tiny:
http://www.prolific.com/store/cart.p...7243f223c14149

Jim Sachs 01-04-2007 10:59 AM

I'll see if I can get Prolific to change the message from "Coming Soon" to "Came and Went".

feldon34 01-04-2007 12:33 PM

I still think the best way to make a DVD is to modify the code to run the Aquarium at 1280 x 720 and write the frames out to BMP files. The timing of the Aquarium would have to be changed to handle the slower framerate. I realize that 1 hour of this would take up 300GB. Then it would be scaled down to 720 x 480 anamorphic (16:9) and compressed to DVD format.

Liamtg 01-04-2007 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Sachs
I'll see if I can get Prolific to change the message from "Coming Soon" to "Came and Went".

"Came and went", as in no longer available or just not up to par with the screen saver?
I was surprised to hear that there was no DVD of this screen saver already available. I'm pretty certain if popular screen savers were made into HD DVDs they would sell like hotcakes to people with big screen HD TVs. I imagine you could fit more than one screen saver on a DVD, but I don't know about the auto replay feature. It would be nice not to have to reset it every few hours. My TV is 40". That's a lot of screen space that could be utilized during parties or whenever.

I hope you give it another try, Jim.

Is there an economical compact computer available that I could hook-up to my TV in the meantime. Most standard ones are very bulky. My home pc is in another room and I don't want to bother with running wires all over the place.

MattNW 01-06-2007 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liamtg
"Came and went", as in no longer available or just not up to par with the screen saver?
I was surprised to hear that there was no DVD of this screen saver already available. I'm pretty certain if popular screen savers were made into HD DVDs they would sell like hotcakes to people with big screen HD TVs. I imagine you could fit more than one screen saver on a DVD, but I don't know about the auto replay feature. It would be nice not to have to reset it every few hours. My TV is 40". That's a lot of screen space that could be utilized during parties or whenever.

I hope you give it another try, Jim.

Is there an economical compact computer available that I could hook-up to my TV in the meantime. Most standard ones are very bulky. My home pc is in another room and I don't want to bother with running wires all over the place.

I think Gateway has a compact PC. No idea what the price is but with all the new models coming out soon you might be able to get a good price. It's a normal PC MB without expansion slots to get it into the tiny case. Or you could pick up a used notebook PC.

Tiny Turtle 01-06-2007 04:19 PM

Most elegant solution would be an Apple Mac Mini, but even if you want a regular PC there should be goodlooking alternatives available.