Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum

Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Marine Aquarium 3 Rumors and Speculation (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3675)

grape_jellyfish 02-02-2008 12:19 PM

That wouldn't stop another thread from being started elsewhere.

Ad_Enuff 02-02-2008 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grape_jellyfish
That wouldn't stop another thread from being started elsewhere.

That's why I suggested a Blog previously......then Jim can post what he wants when he wants, disable comments and also post video bits.

Jim Sachs 02-02-2008 12:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here you go.

patscarr 02-02-2008 12:58 PM

Wow! Jim, you are just full of surprises! First you were working with deadlines, then you gave an actual release date, and now you are posting screen shots of a work in progress! All things you have never done in the past. Now I am convinced that your wife or daughter is logging in to this forum using your ID. :)

ESHIREY 02-02-2008 01:03 PM

I never thought you would do it.

Ad_Enuff 02-02-2008 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Sachs
Here you go.

OOOOoo! I've gone all clammy with excitement!

debavocet 02-02-2008 02:56 PM

Jim, thanks for the screenshot.
More, more!

:TU:

Marian Nichols 02-02-2008 03:01 PM

Can't wait for the new version, beautiful.

Wizwad 02-02-2008 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patscarr
Wow! Jim, you are just full of surprises! First you were working with deadlines, then you gave an actual release date, and now you are posting screen shots of a work in progress! All things you have never done in the past. Now I am convinced that your wife or daughter is logging in to this forum using your ID. :)

It's the Stepford Jim! Everyone, be afraid! Be VERY afraid! :eek: :D

drfish 02-03-2008 07:11 AM

Wow, I too never thought that would happen... :eek:

nicksteel 02-03-2008 08:30 AM

Now, that's 3D!

"Are we there yet?"

Stew2000 02-03-2008 08:32 AM

I like that it's a slice of what's to come ;)

Jim Sachs 02-03-2008 02:01 PM

If you notice that the fish in that picture aren't quite as realistic as in the old program, it's because they don't have proper lighting yet. This means that the only shading is that which is drawn into the actual texture. The new fish will be able to bank and rotate in ways which they never could before, so the shaded areas must correspond with this. Before, the program simply turned on dynamic lighting, so shading and specular effects were automatic. But now, all "lighting" is done in Vertex Shaders, and I'm still struggling with the concept. I am able to combine the texture and lightplay in one rendering pass, but so far haven't been able to add diffuse lighting or specular effects. I could do it by making two rendering passes for each fish, but this really slows down the program. That is the area I'm working on today.

Tiny Turtle 02-03-2008 02:55 PM

That's what I like so much about you, mr. Sachs - no shortcuts! Sure it might take a while to finish the product, but I'd rather have that than what some of the competitors churn out which looks good at a first glance but almost always flawed in at least some way when you look closer...

:)

Andrew Jenkins 02-03-2008 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Sachs
If you notice that the fish in that picture aren't quite as realistic as in the old program, it's because they don't have proper lighting yet. This means that the only shading is that which is drawn into the actual texture. The new fish will be able to bank and rotate in ways which they never could before, so the shaded areas must correspond with this. Before, the program simply turned on dynamic lighting, so shading and specular effects were automatic. But now, all "lighting" is done in Vertex Shaders, and I'm still struggling with the concept. I am able to combine the texture and lightplay in one rendering pass, but so far haven't been able to add diffuse lighting or specular effects. I could do it by making two rendering passes for each fish, but this really slows down the program. That is the area I'm working on today.

...When you read notes like this you realise that there's MORE THAN MEETS THE EYE & I suspect many final touches before the master is happy with his piece of work.

Thanks all the same for the preview... have to get back to thinking about my wishlist now!

jmsquared 02-04-2008 11:44 AM

Jim, your work is just unbelievable. I sometimes feel I should have a towel handy in case my monitor starts to leak! Yes your work is that realistic. People should be happy you are willing and able to share your talents. Besides the expectations are half the fun!

Stew2000 02-04-2008 11:47 AM

If this is going to be more 3D then MA2, will it have an optional 'Top Down' view?

Jim Sachs 02-04-2008 12:15 PM

The camera angle has to be tightly controlled to maintain realism. The scene scrolls back and forth, but the camera angle cannot change. Even with this restriction, the Beta testers have been finding lots of holes for me to fix.

Allowing the camera angle to change would increase the work to create this little "universe" by tenfold. Then we would be looking at 50 years instead of 5.

dare2001 02-06-2008 02:49 AM

Jim,
keep up the great work.
MA3 will be the bomb :TU:

jleslie 02-06-2008 01:30 PM

Um, doesn't 5 years mean it was out last year? Did I miss it ;-)
I know, I know...