Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum

Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Forum Changes (New opening forum screen) (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1243)

Ralph 04-14-2003 09:14 PM

While we are discussing browsers..... With NS 7 this Quick Reply box is 33 characters wide. With NS 4.8 it is 50 and in IE 6 it is 52 characters. Would it be possible to make this a bit wider now that I have upgraded to 7? ;) Please. (and in the edit box as well)
And.... in IE 6 the forward feature does not work. Going from "view new messages" I hang with the Your search is in progress and you will be taken to the results in a moment. Thank you for your patience.

Click here if you do not want to wait any longer
(or if your browser does not automatically forward you)
Probably something wrong with "my" setup but .......

Thanks
Ralph:TU:

SouthPaw42 04-14-2003 09:45 PM

Yea post a bug report to Netscape about not following XHTML standards.

feldon34 04-14-2003 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Ralph
While we are discussing browsers..... With NS 7 this Quick Reply box is 33 characters wide. With NS 4.8 it is 50 and in IE 6 it is 52 characters. Would it be possible to make this a bit wider now that I have upgraded to 7? ;) Please. (and in the edit box as well)
In other words, you want vBulletin to work around ANOTHER bug in Netscape. :(

vBulletin has a universal input box width, and then various compatibility settings to deal with Netscape's inconsistancies. :mad:

Quote:

And.... in IE 6 the forward feature does not work. Going from "view new messages" I hang with the Your search is in progress and you will be taken to the results in a moment. Thank you for your patience.

Have you got some kind of pop-up stopper/blocker/etc.?

If this were a widespread problem, it would have been fixed in a point release of vB. hmm...

feldon34 04-14-2003 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by SouthPaw42
Yea post a bug report to Netscape about not following XHTML standards.
Not that the creators of XHTML, w3.org, are any better. Try using the HTML or CSS Validators at their website if you want to see how crazy the people who are supposed to be setting the standards are.

Mountainmaster 04-15-2003 04:50 AM

A quick look at the page source reveals that the textarea is defined as rows="7" cols="40". So neither browser gets it right. :D

feldon34 04-15-2003 10:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hmm....

I've changed NS6/7 to 50 cols.

Ralph 04-15-2003 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by feldon27
Have you got some kind of pop-up stopper/blocker/etc.?
If this were a widespread problem, it would have been fixed in a point release of vB. hmm...

Beats me....... nothing that I am aware of, I did make some changes in the "security" of internet settings in an attempt to stop pop ups....

So, I reset it to "normal" and now the problem is gone . :D
Thanks

cjmaddy 05-08-2003 03:36 PM

Morgan,

Is this just my system, or have you changed something?

I don't know what you've done, if anything, but for the past 2 or 3 days, the forum pages have downloaded about 4 or 5 times quicker! ....... Great! :TU:

feldon34 05-08-2003 04:36 PM

I mentioned this earlier in the thread here but I can extrapolate on it some more now.

Internet Explorer 4+ and Netscape 4+ both support receiving the HTML part of a website in GZIP format. This has to be one of the most oft-ignored features of these browsers!

In other words, you can be browsing through a website and each page arrives at your computer in a sort of WinZip format which your web browser transparently unzips and displays.

For broadband users, the delay of the web server GZIPping the page up, sending it, and your browser extracting the GZIP probably negates any possible speed benefit.

BUT!! For modem and/or ISDN users, the speed difference is massive!

The average forum page here is 120-160kb of HTML (this is excluding the pictures!). On a modem, even with compression on, this could easily take 20-30 seconds to download.

However, with MOD_GZIP turned on, the page is already compressed before it is sent. A 120-160kb page of HTML becomes a 8-14kb GZIP package (that is not a typo!).

Now, the HTML comes in in 2-5 seconds.

So the question is, why was GZIP turned off on the release dates of MA2, GA, and the whole time I was on vacation?

We are on a semi-dedicated webhost, which means we have a "slice" of a dedicated dual 1.2 GHz P4 server with tons of RAM and hard drive.

GZIP is *very* CPU and memory intensive. Actually, my webhost told me that they don't recommend me using it, but the speed benefits were too attractive to pass up. The only time I turn off GZIP is if I expect forum traffic to hit 75-85 users within a 30 minute period. At this point, so many pages are going out and being GZIPped that the CPU and memory are getting bogged down.

Rather than leave it off and expect Michael to check in every hour to see if GZIP is causing problems, I pre-emptively turned it off.

I have asked the vBulletin people to add a feature to throttle, or switch off GZIP automatically when the user count goes over X and then turn it back on afterwards.

I might write this code myself.

Ralph 05-08-2003 05:52 PM

This only works for IE 4+ and NS 4+? Is it totally seemless at our end, can we tell if the page is / was sent zipped?
Just an idle curiosity......

feldon34 05-08-2003 09:05 PM

Yes.

http://leknor.com/code/gziped.php

That will tell you IF a page came GZIPped and if it wasn't, it will tell you what savings you'd get if it were GZIPped. The 1200% reduction was eye-popping and hard to resist.

cjmaddy 05-09-2003 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by feldon27
The 1200% reduction was eye-popping and hard to resist.
It sure is !!!!! :):)

Yellow Tang 05-09-2003 04:30 AM

Broadband here, so the speed is slightly slower, but still fast enough!

Another question:
Is it possible to turn off all those GA threads when I click the "View new posts" link at the startpage?

feldon34 05-09-2003 09:00 AM

I know there have been a few requests for this. I'll look into it. I could probably give you a link that you would bookmark, but to make it a "setting" for you would be difficult.

Tiny Turtle 05-14-2003 06:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Useful smilies?

Tiny Turtle 05-14-2003 06:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This one

Tiny Turtle 05-14-2003 06:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
And this one could have it's uses

Liath 05-14-2003 07:40 AM

lol....I like the the last one. I'm keeping it. :)

Jav400 05-27-2003 08:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well I found a "jaw dropping smilie" anyone got any comments about this one?

Tiny Turtle 05-28-2003 12:59 AM

:)