Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum

Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Future: Freshwater Aquarium (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Treasure Chest? Really? (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1336)

fubarhq 03-09-2003 03:14 AM

Treasure Chest? Really?

Jim,

Just my two cents. I saw in one of the posts that you were planning on adding a treasure chest that would open and release bubbles. My opinion is that, most "serious" fishtank owner's are against those bubbles toys, such as the treasure chest, scuba diver, dragons, what have you and that they are eye-sores to any well "aqua-scaped" tank. I would rather you have bubbles just emanate from "nowhere" as an air-wand would do, rather than subject us to the treasure chest syndrome. Seriously, you did a fantasic job with the salt tank but unless you're setting up a tank for your 7 yr. old, toys have no proper place in a respectable tank. Anyway, my two cents. Sorry if I came across a bit harsh, just pretty anti-bubble toy these days.

Love your stuff. Maybe when you toggle off bubbles, the treasure chest goes with it? Don't want to complain without a solution.

Thx again.
Dave

Jav400 03-09-2003 06:03 AM

Jim Sachs
Quote:

****WARNING!*****SPOILER!!!****

Anyone interested in seeing the basic layout of the Freshwater Tank can take a look at:
http://www.fish-byte.com/images/freshwater1.jpg

There will be changes, but this is the real tank I have set up on my desk. The shot shows the left 2/3 of the tank -- the widescreen would show more.
I would say that you will probably be able to toggle the treasure chest on and off.

IXNAY 03-09-2003 06:43 AM

Who like it can switch it on and who doesn't like it switches it off.
So easy :D

Jim Sachs 03-09-2003 12:23 PM

This has been covered many times, but here it is again:

You will be able to turn the treasure chest on and off in Settings. When off, it will be replaced by a rock. I doubt if many people will do this, because it's the best thing in the tank.

I got a great number of requests to add things like this to the saltwater tank, and I always said no because the AVERAGE reef tank does not have them. There are also purists on the freshwater side, but the AVERAGE freshwater tank does have at least one item like this. Being able to turn it off should please everyone.

Jav400 03-09-2003 01:54 PM

Things like this in a saltwater tank are a definate no no. The salt clogs them up quick, and they can severly goof up your water if they have any metal in them at all.

fubarhq 03-11-2003 12:07 AM

Cool

Hey Jim,

Sorry it took me a day or two to get back to the thread. A Toggle function would be great. Thx again for the details.

Appreciate it,
Your friendly freshwater (purist) aquarist
Dave

feldon34 03-11-2003 02:04 AM

fubar, we'd love snapshots of any tanks you have operated in the past or fish you'd like to see added.

IXNAY 03-11-2003 09:02 AM

yeah, please show us pics :)

Wizwad 03-11-2003 10:41 AM

I love that here people can come up with silly ideas as well as the serious stuff. Someone posted the suggestion that special days prompt changes in the treasure chest - presents spilling out in place of bubbles at Christmas, painted eggs at Easter, stuff like that. I know it's never going to happen (after all, what *average* treasure chest does that?) but just the idea delights me. :)

Fireworks on July 4th. :D

Yellow Tang 03-11-2003 10:59 AM

Country-specific fireworks, please. ;-)

IXNAY 03-11-2003 11:06 AM

Haha :D
replacement for the treasure chest with liberty statue on july forth with fireworks coming out of {unpatriotic places} ;)

Liath 03-11-2003 11:14 AM

Hey, easy there IXNAY. You kiss your mother with that mouth? :rolleyes:

IXNAY 03-11-2003 11:21 AM

Hehe, that was just fun :) don't want to sound rude or something like that :D I think I have the silliest suggestion of all here

bratboy 03-11-2003 11:53 AM

I always wanted to do a miniture of part of modern city sunken hehe. (admittedly twisted)

Tiny Turtle 03-11-2003 04:14 PM

Lol, Ix. – I think that was very elegantly formulated :TU:

/Tiny Laughter

Liath 03-12-2003 04:31 PM

lol ....I think that may have been a bit of Morgan's poetry

feldon34 03-12-2003 04:39 PM

God, this forum is so fast now, I don't know what to do with myself.

Ah yes, the Wishlist... :)

Yellow Tang 03-12-2003 05:48 PM

Damn fast, absolutely!!! What the hell have you guys done?

Great!

Jav400 03-12-2003 06:36 PM

Yellow Tang,

WE HAVE MOVED :):):) We have moved to a new web host with much more space allowed and higher bandwidth allowances also, ( especially since we were about 5x over our limit where we were ).

feldon34 03-12-2003 08:00 PM

Normal webhosting, also called "virtual" or "shared" runs about $8~25 a month. This type of hosting means that your website is a folder on a server computer. You are sharing the CPU and memory with every other website running from that server.

If the server gets overloaded then it is the hosting company's responsibility to spread out the accounts on it to other servers to deal with the problem, or ask for more money. :)

Also, 1 person can't install their own versions of the software. Everyone uses the same web server, the same scripting, etc. If someone wants to run a different/new version of any of this software, the company must upgrade the whole server since it affects everyone.

Server Load is a number that tells you how many programs are trying to run that cannot find any free CPU time to do their business. This means that the server's CPU is at 100% capacity and there are still more unfulfilled requests coming in. Visitors to your website might see nothing for 10, 20, 30 or more seconds. Server Load should very rarely be higher than 2~3, with an acceptable peak of 5 maybe a few times a month.

Well, we've been seeing typical Server Loads of 3~5, peaking each day at 5~18 and occasionally reaching 17~19 when things were really swamped. :( :mad:

So, what to do? Well, we could try another of these shared hosting deals. But, it turns out, we were beyond the recommended hardware requirements of most of those. When you are getting more than 1,200 unique visits and serving up 1 GB of traffic a day, shared hosting is a poor choice.

For a long time, there was a massive gap between the $25 plans and the next highest level, called dedicated hosting. Dedicated hosting is literally having 1 whole PC in a closet at the hosting company reserved for your website/domain and nobody else's. SereneScreen/Prolific has at least 3 PCs. :)

Dedicated hosting is also $120/month for the entry-level systems!

So I investigated many options and settled upon something called Virtual Private Server.

It takes a Dedicated Server and splits it up into 10-20 walled-off 'virtual servers'. Instead of a free-for-all like shared hosting, each customer on VPS is given an exact percentage of the CPU(s), an exact amount of RAM, and an exact amount of bandwidth they can use. Nobody can crowd other people out, and you know exactly when you need to upgrade to a more expensive service.

So far, I'm impressed. :)

Bandwidth was one of a hundred reasons I was happy to get away from Web66.