Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum

Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Marine Aquarium 3 Rumors and Speculation (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3675)

cjmaddy 01-28-2008 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Sachs
I had a very productive day yesterday, and MA3 will go to the testers today.

:drool:

Yodelking 01-28-2008 11:37 AM

Quote:

I had a very productive day yesterday, and MA3 will go to the testers today.

HURRY! I'll go to sleep in 3 hours... ;)

Jim Sachs 01-28-2008 12:21 PM

Just adding a few lines of code to test for a problem that Morgan has been having.

bugsymcd24 01-28-2008 01:23 PM

I would like to be a tester if at all possible.. :)

Jav400 01-28-2008 01:31 PM

Right now we have several dozen testers already covering a wide range of machines, OS', and hardware. We are not taking anymore requests for testers at this time, but thanks for the interest.

simico 01-28-2008 03:52 PM

I sent this to Jim back in 2002, for fish behavioural / interaction ideas... So while you are all waiting for MA3, (and for those of us not lucky enough to be testers!), download from this link,

http://www.shef.ac.uk/uni/academic/N.../aquarium.html

(You may (like me) have to run it in compatibility mode if you are on XP or Vista).

Not pretty, but weirdly addictive, and when we do get to see MA3, it will be like switching an old black and white TV to colour!

hololo 01-29-2008 12:59 AM

Hello Jim,
Does it possible have Public Test version for anyone who like MA3?

skypx 01-29-2008 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jav400
Right now we have several dozen testers already covering a wide range of machines, OS', and hardware. We are not taking anymore requests for testers at this time, but thanks for the interest.

If you do not have any testers with Vista 64 I will be more than happy to fill that void. :D :D :D :D :D :D

Jav400 01-29-2008 06:24 AM

We have all OS' covered, thanks.

jsmith1061 01-30-2008 09:13 AM

Timeline???

Once MA3 is in the hands of testers, how long before a general release?

I know there are a lot of variables, but knowing Jim I'm betting most of the bases are pretty well covered.

Any estimates on a release date?

Thanks

Jav400 01-30-2008 09:24 AM

Welcome to the forums Jeff.

That question in and of itself is a difficult one to answer. Jim usually never gives time dates for that very reason. Right now MA3 is only an Alpha, which basically means there is alot left to go before release. Jim has completed probably 90% of the 3D corals etc., but; there are no settings options to the program yet, no real collision detection - which must be re-written because of the new items in the tank, no movement to any of those new corals yet, etc etc.

So while there has been tons of progress made and Jim now has something actually running, there is still alot left to do. As to a time frame before a Beta gets to testers, there is no real way to answer that question. It depends on too many different things. As to a time frame after a Beta gets to testers, that depends on problems found and what it takes to fix them. It could be several weeks, or longer, depending on how complex any problems found are.................

Jim Sachs 01-30-2008 10:43 AM

An Alpha version is in the hands of the testers now, but as Michael says, there is still a huge amount to do. My plan is to release it to the general public while it is still in Beta form, though. The plan would be for anyone with a valid MA2 Key to be able to try out MA3, then upgrade for a small charge when it is ready for Prime-Time.

That is why the price of MA2.6 was lowered a few months ago, so that even with the upgrade charge, customers would stil only be paying the normal price for MA3.

Stew2000 01-30-2008 11:00 AM

So in a way you will release a MA2.99 to see what bugs are left. ;)

Jim Sachs 01-30-2008 11:21 AM

Not just bugs. The users will get to try out each new addition to the tank as it's completed. This might go on for several months. I did this with MA 1.0 about 7 years ago, and the fans loved it. They felt like Christmas came every few days, and couldn't wait to get home to download the latest version.

But first the Beta Testers and I have to get it stable enough for public consumption. At the moment we're looking into memory leaks which can cause some VERY weird effects.

jleslie 01-30-2008 01:00 PM

I joined this forum just after I purchased MA. At that time I loved the fish, but wasn't a fan of the background, but bought it partly as everyone seemed to be saying a free upgrade to the 3D background was just around the corner.
Well, it was a bit further away from that, but at least it looks like we're finally getting there...!!
Actually I think I got my money's worth simply from the pleasure I've had from this forum in the intervening years, if nothing else...
John

Jim Sachs 01-30-2008 01:34 PM

I think you'll be pleased with the new background.

Wizwad 01-30-2008 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jleslie
Actually I think I got my money's worth simply from the pleasure I've had from this forum in the intervening years, if nothing else...
John

To quote Ed, "Got that right, buddy!" :):TU:

jsmith1061 01-30-2008 03:31 PM

Beta

I too, have had MA for a LONG time. It is, in fact, the only screen saver I have ever bought. I, of course, dabbled with the free ones for a while, but once I saw MA, it was all over. I have been watching the forum for quite awhile trying to keep up on MA3 developments. Raises my hand (in fact, both hands) volunteering to test anything MA3 related.

Good luck and I'll keep my fingers crossed for few bugs and a quick release!

Jeff

Bob 01-30-2008 04:49 PM

Quote:

The users will get to try out each new addition to the tank as it's completed. This might go on for several months. I did this with MA 1.0 about 7 years ago, and the fans loved it.

If I remember correctly I got in at about 0.97.

I really appreciate that you're going this route again. It's been a long wait for the 3D background. Looking forward to giving it a try.

Bob

Ad_Enuff 01-31-2008 06:42 AM

It's a shame that we aren't able see screenshots of the ALPHA in progress. Something is which I have been requesting for some time...."The Diary Aquatic with Jim Sachs...." would have been a good title.

But alas that idea was shot down in flames.....a real pity, good marketing and gave something back to the forum and fans of the program.