Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum

Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Goldfish Aquarium 2 for Mac OS X (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Version 1.0 is now available. (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2627)

JimO'Connor 09-16-2004 07:48 PM

Version 1.0 is now available.

Share and enjoy!

AKcrab 09-16-2004 08:37 PM

Congrats!
Want to share why you've added this?
Quote:

Number preference SoundLoopLength controls the length of the sound loop, from 14 to 60 seconds, in steps of about 7.5 seconds (no UI).
Why would one want to control the loop length?

AKcrab 09-16-2004 08:40 PM

This prolific page is a tad out of date:
http://prolific.com/product/index.php?pltid=2
Lists goldfish as 0.9.3 :)
(It links to the correct dload.)

JimO'Connor 09-16-2004 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by AKcrab
Congrats!
Want to share why you've added this?

Why would one want to control the loop length?

QuickTime can't loop cleanly. The way to make the sound repeat more cleanly is to internally duplciate the sound to lengthen it, which increases the amount of memory the sound takes up (depending on QuickTime's internals). I always tend to conserve memory (my days with an Atari 400 with 16k RAM have permanently disabled me, besides using more memory always has penalties) so I only internally repeat the sound 1 time by default. Then I try to catch QuickTime as it is about to play the last milliseconds of the sound and reset it myself rather than let QuickTime notice it has ended and restart it. On my computers a 15 second loop gives me seamless sound for hours. Even on the 450 MHz G4 Cube the sound is clean. However, a musician user mentioned that he still noticed the loop and he said he'd pronounce a POX on me if I didn't clean it up by the time we shipped. I remember the chicken pox and I don't want to go through that again. So for this user I added the option of increasing the loop length. We'd already frozen the UI and that this isn't the sort of thing many people would want to change so I made it a hidden preference.

I can't promise that everyone will get his own special hidden feature. Sorry.

:)

aczeisler 09-17-2004 12:12 AM

Its Awsome!

Keep up the good work!

JimO'Connor 09-17-2004 08:50 AM

Re: Its Awsome!

Quote:

Originally posted by aczeisler
Keep up the good work!
Thank you very much.

I would like to publically thank our beta testers for their help and everybody on this forum for their feedback on the various things we tried to improve this product.

Thank you very much.

johnblommers 09-17-2004 11:51 AM

The Artist Ships - Congratulations

1 Attachment(s)
Jim and the rest of your gang,

Thanks to your efforts, you shipped a clean, robust version of Goldfish Aquarium (GA). I saw the software listed on both versiontracker and macupdate :contract:

My main use for GA is with Backlight 2, because when GA's set limit the frame rate to 30fps, GA makes a relatively calm desktop that uses very little CPU time. I've set Backlight so the screen effect is given the lowest priority. Charming :heart:

What I want to know is, what's in my Macintosh HD that is attracting the fish? Keep in mind that my screen is set to 1600x1024 and thousands of colors, and GA is limited to 30 fps in my preferences, so my screen grab won't look as nice as it will on your computer:

feldon34 09-17-2004 02:50 PM

And you've proceeded to clutter this work of art with, well, clutter. Poor Eric...

ESHIREY 09-17-2004 03:50 PM

Love the rock. So when do the pc people get this one? :D

johnblommers 09-17-2004 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ESHIREY
Love the rock. So when do the pc people get this one? :D
This is actually called Petrified Wood :cheers:

JimO'Connor 09-17-2004 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by feldon28
And you've proceeded to clutter this work of art with, well, clutter. Poor Eric...
I don't think that Eric shares Jim Sachs' opinion on this type of feature, so I don't think he feels the need for comforting. :)

ESHIREY 09-17-2004 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by johnblommers
This is actually called Petrified Wood :cheers:
Ok :TU: I see that. So when do we get it? :D

JimO'Connor 09-17-2004 04:03 PM

Quote:

Ok :TU: I see that. So when do we get it? :D
That isn't something that I can answer. However, Mac users had to wait a good while to get Goldfish so don't begrudge us a few extras for a while. I'm sure you'll have petrified wood in your goldfish tank before too long. :)

ESHIREY 09-17-2004 04:08 PM

Hey your right. :TU: We'll give them there time. :D :TU:

JimO'Connor 09-17-2004 04:10 PM

Quote:

Hey your right. :TU: We'll give them there time. :D :TU:
I knew I could count on you to be classy about it!

ESHIREY 09-17-2004 04:12 PM

You're welcome. :D And it does look great.

johnblommers 09-17-2004 04:17 PM

Arm twisting

Quote:

Originally posted by JimO'Connor
That isn't something that I can answer. However, Mac users had to wait a good while to get Goldfish so don't begrudge us a few extras for a while. I'm sure you'll have petrified wood in your goldfish tank before too long. :)
So, Jim, buddy, Brother Jim of the Mac Brotherhood, you are such a nice guy, so talented ... sooo ...... why not give us loyal and faithful customers a little window in the preferences pane so that we can drag our own woody artwork onto the mesh :cool:

And then share that functionality with our good PC brethren :cowboy:

JimO'Connor 09-17-2004 04:35 PM

Re: Arm twisting

Quote:

Originally posted by johnblommers
So, Jim, buddy, Brother Jim of the Mac Brotherhood, you are such a nice guy, so talented ... sooo ...... why not give us loyal and faithful customers a little window in the preferences pane so that we can drag our own woody artwork onto the mesh :cool:

And then share that functionality with our good PC brethren :cowboy:

I'm not the guy you'd have to smooze (first). :) Besides, the job is more than just dropping in new artwork. Take a look at wireframe mode to see the object shape you have to match. The wireframe is different for the original rock and the petrified wood. Then there are the object collision boxes...

Good try, though!

ESHIREY 09-17-2004 04:37 PM

hehehehehe :D I give him an "A" for trying. :TU:

JimO'Connor 09-17-2004 04:41 PM

I think I have a workable optimization idea for the debris to cut its computational cost by about 70%. Goldfish shipped, but that doesn't mean we're done with it. Same for MA and MAT, by the way.