Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum

Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   360 degree view angle? (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4882)

Jav400 05-02-2009 07:11 AM

The fish are completely done in 3d, therefore they can rotate, everything else that you see is not, only the parts you are seeing are. For instance take an apple and cut it in half vertically. Now squat down exactly at eye level and look at the uncut side. There is nothing there to tell you that the other half of that apple on the back isn't there, but it isn't. :)

You cannot and will not be able to rotate the tank. I don't think people really want Jim to spend the next 5 years working on corals just so you can rotate the tank to the exclusion of everything else? ;) :)

Welcome to the forum Tom.

Overlord 05-02-2009 07:28 AM

[quote=Jav400;113159]
You cannot and will not be able to rotate the tank. I don't think people really want Jim to spend the next 5 years working on corals just so you can rotate the tank to the exclusion of everything else? ;) :)

Amen to that!

cjmaddy 05-02-2009 08:42 AM

Only 5 years?? ...... Mmm.... I was thinking more like 50 for that class of miracle..... :)

tom95521 05-02-2009 12:09 PM

OK. It sounds like the easiest method to emulate 360 deg. rotation would be to match the graphic objects at each end of the tank so seamless panning in one direction is possible. Probably not worth the effort. Thanks for the replies. Great program.

Jim Sachs 05-02-2009 12:49 PM

The thing that makes the fish fairly easy to display in full-3D is the fact that saltwater fish are so thin (almost 2-dimensional). That's why I chose a marine tank as my subject. The jagged, irregular outlines of the fish only really show up from the left or right sides. Try rotating an irregular piece of coral, and the smooth polygon-based nature of the object quickly becomes apparent. Again, I'm not going to talk about the secret way around this except to say that it's incredibly time consuming.

Dale 05-02-2009 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tom95521 (Post 113137)
I'm new to marine aquarium 3 so please excuse my newbie ignorance. The fish appear to have the ability to rotate 360 deg. in the z axis and all x/y/z variations so then it seems that if the aquarium tank were shaped like a snowglobe it could rotate the same way as the fish? They (the fish) don't require infinite number of edges? Tom

If you have an excellent graphics card and PC, you might be able to get 1 frame per second with true 3D on this complex scene. Or, in 10 years, you might be able to buy (at reasonably-affordable prices) hardware that would do reasonable frame rates.

jleslie 05-02-2009 03:16 PM

I think bump-mapping would help a lot...

Marian Nichols 05-02-2009 04:53 PM

Uuuuummmmm, sound like a task for Einstein,
I must not be too hard to please because I just love it as is. I am watching it for my pleasure and not to scruntinized it, I leave that to Cliff. He is really good at it.

henemly 05-02-2009 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Sachs (Post 113166)
I'm not going to talk about the secret

Please don't.:sad:

Lin Evans 05-03-2009 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tom95521 (Post 113137)
I'm new to marine aquarium 3 so please excuse my newbie ignorance. The fish appear to have the ability to rotate 360 deg. in the z axis and all x/y/z variations so then it seems that if the aquarium tank were shaped like a snowglobe it could rotate the same way as the fish? They (the fish) don't require infinite number of edges? Tom

Assuming - from a theoretical perspective that it were possible to rotate the aquarium, think of the complexity of the simultaneous rotation and motion changes of the fish swimming in the aquarium which already have complex movements.

Possibly the best practical solution would be perhaps be a few alternate fixed views of the aquarium background, but even this presents myriad technical issues such as photographing a real model of the aquarium without the fish but containing the other fixed objects for processing - lots of work for the small return I should think.

As it is, I think the saltwater aquarium with 30 fish is an incredible accomplishment in 3D. To get anything more realistic would require video rather than 3D and the file sizes would be huge and could not have nearly the versatility which is offered with the present model.

Best regards,

Lin

Marian Nichols 05-03-2009 01:49 PM

http://characters-environments.com/a...ault/agree.gif

feldon34 05-03-2009 07:47 PM

Sorry, been traveling so late to this party, but just realize that the corals were photographed, modeled, and built from one side. To rotate the camera more than about 15 degrees would reveal this as everything would "fly apart".