Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum

Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Marine Aquarium 3 Rumors and Speculation (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3675)

Jim Sachs 01-31-2008 09:57 AM

Screen shots might lessen the impact the first time you see if for real. I'll see what the Beta testers think.

johnblommers 01-31-2008 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Sachs
Screen shots might lessen the impact the first time you see if for real. I'll see what the Beta testers think.

In my humble opinion, if an artistically talented person takes a 2D screen shot of a real-time 3D scene, then you get a screen shot that best represents the actual look of the product. Let the average Joe or Jane take that screenshot and it most likely won't have much impact. So Jim Sachs should be the screen shooter, or at least "papally bless" screen shots taken by the faithful beta testers.

I'd counter that a 10-second 720P screen movie made by the artist Jim Sachs would be a very good sneaky peek at MA3.

Jav400 01-31-2008 10:31 AM

For those folks who have been with us since the beginning, one might believe that this beta testing is merely a formality and that Marine Aquarium 3 is almost done. It's not. The background is infinitely more complex (as seen on the various setups being tested) and there are still a lot of features that are not implemented.

It would be counterproductive to post a flat screen snapshot of MA3 at this stage because it would just lead to supposition and assumptions being made and, perhaps, disappointment, and an increase in the impatience we're already seeing. We are already getting quite a lot of e-mails from people asking to be in the beta. I know Jim is getting quite a few PMs from people.

While a video might tell the story better, I think this will just lead to frustration. MA3 just plain is not ready yet. I know people are anxious and love Jim's work, I don't blame them, I do as well. But lets not put undue requests on him.

Rob 01-31-2008 12:01 PM

hard to believe that I bought this screen saver so many years ago and havent had a desire to use any other screen saver since. I think .99 was my first one, cant wait to see what version 3 looks like.

Andrew Jenkins 01-31-2008 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob
hard to believe that I bought this screen saver so many years ago and havent had a desire to use any other screen saver since. I think .99 was my first one, cant wait to see what version 3 looks like.

...that sounds like a long time ago. I presume 2.6 looks quite different to how .99 looked & behaved? Presumably the hardware has also brought about some changes to how the fish look & behave also?

feldon34 01-31-2008 02:35 PM

2.6 and .99k have the same hardware limitations. Most of the fish present in .99K appear in 2.6 unchanged.

In short, everything was "done right the first time". ;)

Andrew Jenkins 01-31-2008 04:03 PM

I am encouraged, but still impatient ;)

Hot 01-31-2008 06:50 PM

"I'd counter that a 10-second 720P screen movie made by the artist Jim Sachs would be a very good sneaky peek at MA3."

And it may be a very good sales pitch

Hot 01-31-2008 07:15 PM

But then agian Rembrant would not say hey guys come see what i'm almost done!!!

So take your time Jim.
Still cant wait Ron.

EVERRET 01-31-2008 07:41 PM

We've waited this long........

I vote No screenshots till the day or two before release, with a spoiler tag.

johnblommers 01-31-2008 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hot
But then agian Rembrant would not say hey guys come see what i'm almost done!!!

Of course not. Rembrandt was a 2D artist, Jim Sachs is a 3D artist.

Yellow Tang 02-01-2008 03:03 AM

Calm down everyone. Do you remember October?
He always said it is ready in October!
But now the year should be clear: 2008. :)

Ad_Enuff 02-02-2008 03:26 AM

Quote:

I don't think that's a particularly great arguement concerning screenshots, I mean how do games companies get gamers frothing at the bit for their latest game? Sceenshots didn't lessen the effect when I looked at Call of Duty 4, BIOSHOCK etc etc.....it only made me want them more.

Or of course there is YouTube if you want to use video......

Personally, I like seeing projects/games etc etc develop.

Jav400 02-02-2008 08:40 AM

Game companies dont show you the whole game before it comes out either. ;)

Ad_Enuff 02-02-2008 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jav400
Game companies dont show you the whole game before it comes out either. ;)

Neither is Jim as its still in ALPHA.

Jim Sachs 02-02-2008 11:22 AM

Yes, it's still in Alpha, but a screen shot would make it look a lot more finished than it is. Most of the work still to be done is on animation and smoothing of edges, neither of which would show up in a screen shot.

I'll consider it, but I'm just afraid that screen shots would just start people hounding me for release dates.

Ad_Enuff 02-02-2008 11:40 AM

Quote:

Yes, it's still in Alpha, but a screen shot would make it look a lot more finished than it is. Most of the work still to be done is on animation and smoothing of edges, neither of which would show up in a screen shot.

I'll consider it, but I'm just afraid that screen shots would just start people hounding me for release dates.

Sceenshots are screenshots, they are what they are, nothing more, nothing less. Nobody is holding you to anything Jim. If people can't read this thread from start to finish that your screensaver is still in ALPHA and not BETA yet then they deserve to be banned.

If you were to post screenshots, I'd start a separate thread and lock posting with additional notes concerning some rules of do's and don'ts.

nicksteel 02-02-2008 11:56 AM

Quote:

or,

"Are we there yet?"
"Are we there yet?"
"Are we there yet?"
"Are we there yet?"

Jav400 02-02-2008 12:05 PM

lo @ nick. Yep those are both things to definately avoid. :)

Ad_Enuff 02-02-2008 12:13 PM

As I said Jim could have done a Blog and disabled all comments on it...

"The Blog Aquatic with Jim Sachs...."