Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum

Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Marine Aquarium 2 for Mac OS X Archive (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Starfish on Glass (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=996)

Paphitis 07-30-2002 07:50 PM

Starfish on Glass

In the twenty or so days that I have had the Marine Aquarium running as a screensaver or as an app I have seen the starfish on the glass only ONCE despite having that option checked in the preferences. It was great to see the underside with all it's quivering tentacles. Is it possible to get it to do this more often, or is configured to perform this trick only every two weeks :D

Socrates 07-30-2002 08:41 PM

Re: Starfish on Glass

Quote:

Originally posted by Paphitis
In the twenty or so days that I have had the Marine Aquarium running as a screensaver or as an app I have seen the starfish on the glass only ONCE despite having that option checked in the preferences. It was great to see the underside with all it's quivering tentacles. Is it possible to get it to do this more often, or is configured to perform this trick only every two weeks :D
It is only possible for it to go on or off the glass when the backlights are up and the front lights are down.

So get it up there, then set your foreground lights to stay on.

It is also supposed to remember where it last was when you stop and restart.

If any of that isn't true in the Mac Beta, then either they redesigned the function or there is some minor bug. Also on Windows, you cn edit the Registry to determine th position, I don't know what the Mac equivalent is.

James 07-31-2002 04:57 AM

well....why not try out Mountainmaster's fish picker programe? it includes 10 starfish on glass positions to choose from...and u get the instant result..
Thread about this great Tweaker:https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums...=&postid=16817
Download link:http://home.wanadoo.nl/sfinx98/progs/picker.zip

feldon34 07-31-2002 09:18 AM

Mountainmaster's program doesn't work real well on Macintoshes. :)

James 07-31-2002 03:16 PM

oops sorry, I didn't notice its a Macintoshes version here talking about.....man...so embarrassed

mrtew 08-03-2002 11:50 PM

I wish there was a checkbox to KEEP the starfish on the glass. Either that or have it remember where it was last. I spend five minutes getting him up there and the second the screensaver goes away and comes back he has fallen off. It kinda bugs me seeing him sitting there on the sand in the same place all the time.

feldon34 08-04-2002 03:07 AM

Not sure why your starfish isn't remembering position. It does on mine.

Jim Sachs 08-04-2002 10:28 AM

Does the starfish forget its position in the Mac version?

Paphitis 08-04-2002 10:54 AM

Reply to Jim Sachs

Since I started this thread, I guess it is appropriate for me to reply to Jim Sachs inquiry. This, of course, may only apply to the Mac version. It seems the starfish doesn't climb on the glass unless the screensaver has been running continuously quite a while, usually more than ten minutes. It will stay on the glass through several light cycles if the screensaver is undisturbed, but if I access the computer for even a second and then return to the screensaver mode, the starfish is back on the sand. When I first made the complaint, I suspect I wasn't patient enough to wait for starfish to do his glass climb. I was just wondering if there were way to induce him to do it more often, or, optionally, to always leave him on the glass.

ValleyGuy 08-04-2002 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Jim Sachs
Does the starfish forget its position in the Mac version?
Yes, it forgets its position on the mac version. Maybe an alternative to remembering position (or in addition to that) might be a sub-preference under the current "Starfish allowed on glass" such as "Start starfish on glass" which would pick a random starting position.

feldon34 08-04-2002 01:38 PM

The Windoze version remembers the Starfish's position between sessions.

JimO'Connor 08-04-2002 05:20 PM

The Mac version doesn't save the starfish position. This was an oversight which wasn't noticed soon enough to get in the release. I'm sure we'll get to it eventually. Right now we're kind of busy on OS 9.

Unregistered 08-05-2002 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by JimO'Connor
I'm sure we'll get to it eventually. Right now we're kind of busy on OS 9.
You didn't get the message? OS 9 is dead! :)
We don't forsee any issues with OS 10.2 do we?

JimO'Connor 08-05-2002 02:59 AM

We've done a little bit of testing on Jaguar without any incident. I don't think there will be any problems. I run it on the Jaguar equipped 17" iMac at the Apple store when I go there.

feldon34 08-05-2002 09:45 AM

Quote:

You didn't get the message? OS 9 is dead!
I've gotten a couple of e-mails from people running OS 8.6 begging for a version of the Aquarium.

Michael Babin 08-05-2002 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Unregistered

You didn't get the message? OS 9 is dead! :)

Yes, we got the message. Then we considered the source... :)

Unregistered 08-14-2002 11:10 AM

Yeah, Steve Jobs asked all developers to stop developing for OS9. He wants to get everyone running OSX so the Mac community won't get as fractured as the Windows folks. Sadly I don't think everyone will move to OSX anytime soon as he keeps charging $130 for upgrades, but still, don't let the OS9 version distract you from keeping that little starfish in his place! :-]

feldon34 08-14-2002 02:12 PM

It would help if Quark Xpress and Strata3D ran with some stability on OS X, never mind being carbonized.

BlueWinterWaves 08-14-2002 07:20 PM

I keep reading about stuff being "carbonized for OS X." I'm getting the vague idea that it means being ported or recompiled or rewritten or *something* in order to be an OS X native program. But why the term "carbonized"? What does it mean in this context exactly? :confused:

feldon34 08-14-2002 08:13 PM

In order for a program to run in the protected memory space of Mac OS X, and in order to display and use all the user interface functionality, support for Mac OS X printing, etc. etc. etc. developers must rewrite 8-12% of their software in a process called "carbonizing" (yes, like Hans Solo!).

Photoshop 7, Premiere 6.5, Adobe InDesign 2, Microsoft Office X, Illustrator 10, etc. are all examples of carbonized applications which run as smoothly on Mac OS X as they do on Windows 2000 (aka near-perfect).

Quark Xpress and Strata3D are examples of programs (each costs $600-1000) which the developers have not yet carbonized. As a result, they run in a compatibility mode on Mac OS X which is not particularly stable. They actually run worse than they do on a clean-booted Mac OS 9.