Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum

Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Marine Aquarium 2 for Mac OS X Archive (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Thousands of colors (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1410)

FishTacoAfficionado 03-23-2003 07:31 PM

Thousands of colors

Why does the readme file say to reduce display settings to "thousands of colors" before installing marine aquarium 2.0 when it runs great on millions of colors? That just hampers my mac's graphical capabilities just for the sake of a screen saver. Apps like photoshop and stuff need millions of colors do they not?

JimO'Connor 03-23-2003 09:27 PM

The readme has you change to thousands first just to be careful. Like telling you to turn off security software. It is to reduce the number of things that can go wrong. Each step isn't necessarily important for a given computer.

iGreg 05-11-2003 09:53 AM

Ah, so what you are saying is that we should use Thousands only in relation to the installation? After the installation, it is ok to switch back to Millions of colors, and leave it there (presuming it works ok in millions). I see.

P.S. I had the same question as FishTaco, but this thread seems to have answered my question.

Michael Babin 05-12-2003 10:48 AM

Correct. There's no inherent problem in running with millions of colors, other than the increased demands on your video card. This increased demand may reduce the performance of MA, perhaps dramatically if the amount of video RAM needed by the system and MA exceeds the amount available on your video card. It's best when first installing and trying the application to set your display preferences to use thousands of colors so you can measure the best potential performance of the application (thus, the note in the readme).

feldon34 05-12-2003 02:48 PM

What are the odds of the Aquarium screen saver being able to change the bit depth/resolution of Mac OS before running?

The PC version's ability to do this has saved the sanity of many a Photoshop user.

JimO'Connor 05-12-2003 04:53 PM

Changing bit depth has been an issue with the Classic environment. I may investigate it again.

feldon34 05-12-2003 08:42 PM

Detect the presence of Classic environment. :) Or ask everyone to dump Quark and go Adobe InDesign. I mean that's the only reason people are still using Classic right?

Lainey 05-15-2003 12:32 AM

* Or ask everyone to dump Quark and go Adobe InDesign. I mean that's the only reason people are still using Classic right?*

Oh, too funny...

...but unfortunately, yes...Quark is the reason...

»¨Ύν 05-24-2003 08:48 PM

I am just a Chinese little girl

I am a Chinese girl, my English is so poor that many things I cannot understand, but I really like this net ,and I have a luky chance to come here , and I don't know how to show this words so I choose reply , I really want to make many friends abroad ,and ,,that is all..
thank you!

feldon34 05-24-2003 09:05 PM

Ookay.

Surfer 06-17-2003 12:46 PM

You can set your computer to thousands and easily change back and forth from thousands to millions by putting the monitors menu item in your menu bar. That way, you can leave your computer on thousands and then just switch over to millions when you want to use photoshop. Thousands is more than adequate for all other general computer and web use. You cannot see any difference. Also, you will get a higher frame rate at thousands, especially if you are using 1024x768 resolution and have a slower video card.

P.S. Quark is ready now!

feldon34 06-17-2003 01:12 PM

MA for Mac should change video modes automatically as the PC version does.

Now to wait for the bugs to shake out of Quark.