View Single Post
Old 04-14-2002, 09:56 PM   #221
CephaloP
lurking in the shadows...

whew....ok

First of all, Tiny, I'm in Michigan, though I might be getting back to Hawaii this year. I sounded British to myself, putting "shite" and "bugger" in the same post. Bad habits from my old Welsh roommate

The one thing that's clear is that I only have a PCI slot and I bought an AGP card. I'm thinking this accounts for all the problems, including the "too tall card" thing. Actually, Tiny, I think you did understand what I was talking about, and with the gold connector stuff down in the slot the card would be the right height. Of course, I couldn't put it in and find out cuz I got the wrong card.

I don't think I explained this part that well. Feldon, I wasn't trying to put the card in through the back of the case instead of opening it up. I was referring to the part of the card that sticks out the back of the case when it's installed, the steel part with the outlet that the monitor plugs into. That's what wouldn't fit in the "door", again probably because I couldn't put the card in the slot. And no, I didn't try to jam it in there, you'll be proud to note.

Also Tiny, I couldn't take the old graphics card out to compare cuz' it's one of those "integrated" things.

Flipper, thanks, I really appreciate the offer. To tell the truth though the fps and resolution your describing with that card is exactly what I'm getting now, which goes to show that I don't REALLY need to upgrade in the first place and that I'm just being an ungrateful git (that one was for you, Tiny). Which is also why I don't want to bother getting a new card AND a new motherboard and/or case.

So- does anyone have a favorite PCI card that they'd recommend? Gateway did offer to connect me to their sales department, Jav, while I was talking to 'em, but I figured the tossers (see what you got started, Tiny?), realizing I knew zilch about this, would just tell me whatever they needed to to sell me their most expensive item.

Thanks again for all your help. I'm one of those guys that probably comes off as Cro-Magnon when you're trying to explain this stuff to them. But if you post that to my face I'll thump you with my club.

Last edited by CephaloP; 04-14-2002 at 09:58 PM.
CephaloP is offline   Reply With Quote