View Single Post
Old 06-07-2002, 11:29 AM   #584
feldon34
Forum Administrator

memilm said:
How do you think about a very low power computer version?
I'd like to see the aquarium on older computer with 1-2-4 MB video RAM and 133-300 MHz, without any DirectX or with DirectX 3 for NT (from SP3 or 4).
Could this be made?
I think a lot of people have some computer of this type and like to see on them the screensaver allways running and use the newer machines to work or play...
#1 you can build a PC for $500 that will run the Aquarium like a champ.

#2 The Aquarium runs on a 4MB video card, virtually unheard of backwards compatibility these days!

I do not want to see Jim's time wasted doing this. Version 99L of the Aquarium works well on 4MB video cards. A 1 or 2 MB video card would not have any 3D capability so you have to depend on the CPU to calculate the fish, and a 133-300 Mhz PC would not be able to put out fish of any level of detail. A 300 Mhz CPU, without any help of a 3D accelerator, would be able to display maybe 2 fish, no coral shadows, no bubbles.

Basically, you are trying to ask a Playstation to run a Dreamcast game.

Ancient PCs are not Jim's market, sorry.

Triggy said:
probably been mentioned before but how about a cuddlefish that changes colors on the fly or matches its immediate surroundings once in awhile?
I think Jim wants to do an Octopus instead of a Cuttlefish. The question is, can you cuddle with a cuttlefish?
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote