View Single Post
Old 11-18-2004, 05:15 PM   #7
midranger4
Registered

Feldon,

Thank you very much for your considered and most informative response. I'm going to take your advice and try the Avia DVD.

You reference sharpness settings and I just want to be clear because right now I have a Sony 36" Vega CRT (I love it but it's not HDTV ready) and I noticed that with sharpness set at one or above it seems to work but if I set it to zero the picture takes a noticeable turn for the worse blurring text displayed on the screen is the most prominent problem.

When you say it is best to keep the sharpness on a RPTV at minimal settings I am presuming you mean the bar should be all the way down and not up right?

Most factory defaults put this setting at about 50 and with the Vega scrolling through vivid, sports, movie, standard, etc screen modes will move the sharpness slider somewhat.

I have to agree with your assessment about brightness. I am a bit of a fanatic with this and insist blacks be as black as possible and not grey as you describe. RPTV's are known to not have *perfect* black levels but from what I've read with proper tweaking you can get darn close.

I will post a follow up after delivery and tweaking with a pic of the aquarium running on my new toy.

Thanks again for your help and if you can provide additional information as associated with the sharpness settings it would be greatly appreciated.
midranger4 is offline   Reply With Quote