Thread: help
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2005, 10:38 PM   #7
JimO'Connor
Mac Development

If the system prefs module dies then it will leave a crash log, which would be very helpful to me. Look in ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/System Preferences.crash.log, with the ~ being your home folder. If you leave feedback on the Order N Dev web site I'll mail you how to get it to me. There could be useful info in the console.

You can reduce the "Shimmer" setting to reduce the amount of work which is done for each frame, which will further reduce the CPU load because of the screen saver.

As a screen saver we are a relatively low priority for CPU time so we can be pre-empted by file sharing or other system services or applications. This can cause jumpiness even though the frame rate is relatively high. For instance, Safari and this web page cause the screen saver to run at 78 fps on my Powerbook, but it is not smooth with the largest pause between draws being on the order of 85 ms and the lowest around 8ms. Any pause over about 33ms will show a stutter. Lowering or turning off the shimmer, limiting frame rate to 40 fps gives a pause between frames is a consistent 24ms for me, which is very smooth. The pauses between frames info is only available in debug builds, so you'll have use subjective measures of smoothness.

Your mileage will vary.

Please get in touch with me about the crashes, and any further info you have for me with this performance issue.
Jim O'Connor
Order N Development
JimO'Connor is offline   Reply With Quote