View Single Post
Old 08-15-2001, 04:49 PM   #49

Re: Poll...

I'm using a projector with a 120" 16:9 screen, not ugly at all (would never have believed I'll be burning the expensive lamp for hours for a "screen saver"

IMHO programmers of this kind of very visual software wouldn't need to care that much about some algorithm or whatever being too slow for most current users as long as they can be turned off. People that have invested in the newest power can usually really appreciate these high-end tricks and pretty quickly (much more quickly than software like this loses its attractiveness) today's high end will be main stream.

I don't update my PC very often (just did, the previous processor and video card were '97) but don't mind buying a great program whose full graphics quality I can't use immediately. I hate some not-that-old-software I still love having artificial resolution etc limitations that used to be reasonable for most users the day that was released but absurd with current hardware.

I by no means mean that programmers should concentrate on making software only for the latest hardware, just that they shouldn't think "only 10% of current users can use this feature so I don't think I'll let them use it".

P.S. (Out of this topic but now that I'm posting anyway) I'll be happy forever when my fish start breathing and eating and whatever fish do instead of aimlessly swimming back and forth. More than enough fish for me the non-marine biologist already to distinguish from each other. Oh, I'd prefer it not using 100% CPU power as my CPU more optimised for transient loads uses and outputs >100W at full load (BTW: water cooled with an aquarium pump as appropriate for an aquarium but those are all to make me a very happy customer.