View Single Post
Old 10-31-2004, 11:16 PM   #33
Jim Sachs
Developer

Thanks for your comments, and especially for presenting your views in such a civil manner.

One minor point - when you say that most people who are going to buy the Aquarium have already bought it, the evidence is all to the contrary. Online sales are still extremely good, and store sales are through the roof (not that I get much from them). Despite tens of millions of downloads, the vast majority of computer users have still never heard of the Aquarium. So, as we approach the 5-year mark, the product may only be about halfway through its useful life.

The point being, from a money standpoint, I don't actually HAVE to do any more work on the Aquarium, or anything else (assuming I live frugally and give up my plans to make movies). The only real reason for me to continue to work on it is to break new ground. I'm interested to see if the other aquarium programs being discussed in the other thread are a worthy challenge, because I've been waiting a very long time for one. Sadly, they are far too big for me to download, so I haven't actually seen them yet.

By the way, when evaluating aquarium programs (including their own) Prolific uses a very simple test: How many seconds would someone be fooled into thinking they are watching real fish from about 5 feet away from the screen? (Obviously the first pass-through would kill the illusion rather quickly.)
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote