View Single Post
Old 11-06-2004, 07:22 PM   #44
James
Principal Engineer as SDET

Location: Was in Auckland, New Zealand, Now in Taipei, Taiwan
Originally posted by Jim Sachs
Anyone who wants floating debris better stick with AquaReal. I won't be putting any of that in my tanks. Like most people who own aquariums, it just means one thing to me -- a dirty tank. People spend a lot of money on filters and protien skimmers to keep their water crystal clear.
Correction Jim, Aqua Real doesn't have any debris settings, only in the newest Aqua Garden, and yes, you've said many time about " it just means one thing to me -- a dirty tank. People spend a lot of money on filters and protien skimmers to keep their water crystal clear.". I totally agree with you, but sometimes it impossible to make a pure crystal clear tank even you go tbest water, fish poo and food debris will give messing up the tank, but as little as 10 debris floating around would make the realism of a virtual tank.

I'm not sure if I should mention this here, but VR Team once think to add the function of growing algae on glass if left your tank too long not caring it, and of course you're able to define the amount of algae and its growing rate, and there're a little magnetic tool for you to clean it(you can even draw things while you clean, oh well, that's really a dirty tank, like the tank in Finding Nemo with the filter broke down), making more interation of the tank. And after all, you can turn this function completely off if you hate to see a little dirty tank.

What VR Team pursues is realism of a tank, simulating the real situation of a real fish tank, rather than keeping in artistic beauty. I think that's the main difference between what Jim's want and other's want. (As we know Jim is more closely to an Artist than a 3D programmer.)

Neverthenless, if you really like debris in AG, you can adjust its amount and size, or even turn it off so you got a clean tank as you wish! I think the more user definable option the better. Anyway, I still love MA as much as I loved AR and AG!!
James C Chen
Principal Engineer as SDET, Connected Services
HTC Corporation
88 Section 3. Zhongxing Road
Xindian District, New Taipei City 231, Taiwan
www.htc.com
James is offline   Reply With Quote