View Single Post
Old 06-22-2008, 12:18 AM   #1639
johnblommers
The Architect

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
I'm totally opposed to seeing my artwork coverd by icons and other desktop clutter, so I'll do anything I can to stop it.  
I'm just as opposed to icons and other clutter on the desktop, that is why there are no icons on my desktop. If I want to put a screensaver on the desktop as wallpaper I claim that right. I paid for the software. Jim you are near the line between the rights of the users and the rights of the creator. It does not sit well with the user when a software developer attempts to control what the suer can and cannot do with that software. Digital Rights Management, copy protection, EULAs etc are not product features. They are a curse upon the user perpetrated by a self-interested software publisher. And we see far too much of that in the software industry as it is.

I think I know where you might be coming from. You don't want your beautiful artistic creation messed with, that is why you don't include features that allow the user to change the aquarium background image or put different texture skins on the fish. Icons and desktop clutter on top of a beautiful aquarium simulation is a miserable thing to contemplate.

So let me try to dissuade you from reducing the functionality of MA products by doing something technical to make it impossible to use MA as a desktop wallpaper. IMHO you should put more weight on the interests of your customers.

Respectfully yours ...

- John, who loves to use MA2 as desktop wallpaper on the Mac
Reasons people don't watch Star Trek:
60% - It’s for nerds.
39% - The show’s stupid.
01% - My parents were killed by Klingons and it's still too painful.
johnblommers is offline   Reply With Quote