View Single Post
Old 06-22-2006, 04:45 PM   #1415
johnblommers
The Architect

Copy that

Originally posted by Wombat:
Hi John,
My LCD TV is capable of 720p/1080i but I'm not using HDTV resolution as I'm only using a standard resolution Digital set-top box for TV. For Serenescreen, I plug the S-Video TV-out connector on my laptop to the S-Video input on the TV. The normal resolution on my laptop is 1440x900 but if I set Serenescreen to that, the display on the TV is badly clipped. The TV display is 1386x768 (WXGA). So I set Serenescreen to the nearest available resolution (1024x768) and that looks OK, although not as good as it does on the computer at 1440x900. I get no blocky or pixillated pictures that you see, but perhaps that is because my S-Video cable is 20metres long, and I must suffer some high frequency attenuation.
Regards,
Wombat (That's rednosed, not hairynosed)  
Cool, thanks for sharing your video resolution setup, Wombat. The bandwidth available for S-video over your 20-foot cable will have a smoothing effect due to the low pass filtering. Plus you're not shooting for the very high 1080p resolution.

I know how nice Serenescreen can look even on a huge HD screen like 52-inches or so, though you do have to step back to appreciate the colors and composition. I saw this last year at a CompUSA where the had an HP media center PC hooked to it, and LO! they had the Serenescreen saver running.

The Serenescreen that ships with MS Media Center has the nice blue gravel - that blue gravel is not available for the Mac version, and I have not found a way to pursuade Jim Sachs to remedy that product gap

Take care!

- John
Reasons people don't watch Star Trek:
60% - It’s for nerds.
39% - The show’s stupid.
01% - My parents were killed by Klingons and it's still too painful.
johnblommers is offline   Reply With Quote