View Single Post
Old 06-09-2001, 09:37 AM   #9
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Re: SS locks up keyboard

If I could go back to my original question instead of praising the Apple way of thinking...

What OS are you using, Morgan? So far, I've tried it on my own Win98SE, a Win98 machine and a WinME one and it doesn't work on either one. As soon as I close the SS window [Win] + [E] works again.

/Calle

Ahh, what the heck! Even though I complained about the discussion swerving of in the wrong direction, I can't help picking up the thrown glove and offer a retort:

I do quite a lot of work MacOS 9 on G4's as well and it does have some advantages. I believe both ways has their respective pros and cons and I must say I've never (OK, almost never) saved a file in the wrong folder.

As for having multiple projects running at the same time: Most Mac users I know seem to dislike the [Alt] + [Tab] function which enables me to have multiple projects - and multiple Windows Explorers - running at the same time. A typical session on my computer has three or four Explorers running simultaneously and are all easily available via [Alt] + [Tab].

To consider the File Manager and Windows Explorer the same thing is IMHO not that clever. Ol' 3.11 was a non-multitasking system (which truly sucked green toe, btw.) and didn't allow the user any freedom at all. Personally, I went directly from The Amiga and "Directory Opus" to the Windows Explorer back in '95 and it took me around two or three weeks to get used to (and appreciate) the new interface.

The important point about getting things done quickly is IMHO to use the keyboard. In the Windows Explorer you can open a folder using [Enter], but also go to the parent directory with [Backspace]. These two, combined with the arrow keys and the ability to select files with [Shift] + [Arrow], makes file-managing way faster than a mouse-only interface allows.

For people interested in whether "Type 1" or "Type 2" thinking is better, I recommend "Designing the User Interface - Strategies for Effective Human-Computer Interaction" by Ben Shneiderman of the University of Maryland. It has some interesting ideas about interfaces which just so happens to claim the opposite of Morgan's version.

Hopefully that didn't come out to harsh - English isn't my native tongue - and perhaps someone could tell me how to solve the original problem, It can't be just me experiencing it on three different computers, huh?
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote