View Single Post
Old 03-19-2004, 10:11 PM   #3
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by James
Do we have to remain the original BMP or TGA file in the directory for MAL to run properly?
Does MAL produce it's own file after importing the log?
Actually we've been discussing this.

If you use the BMP method, which lets you use 1 logo only, then it generates a data file.

<strike>If you use TGA files, then they are converted in memory each time MAT2 loads. This actually causes what I consider to be a problematic delay with 10 or more logos -- it's quite slow. I've offered some suggestions including a logo cache which is re-generated each time a new logo is dropped in the folder or an old one deleted.</strike>
MAT2 now uses PNG files, which load rather quickly, even if you have 20-30 logos.

What I really want is once the logo has been imported, I hope I can export the whole MAL as a single .src file with all logos embedded in it.
I do not think we will see logos being folded into the .SCR file, however. When I put logos on my website, they will all be self-installing programs which drop the file into the correct folder.

But in order to let others to run MAL, those "other" computer must have keycode or else they can only use demo with larger .src file size.
We certainly won't see a way to "get around" any limitations of logo selection by bundling logos into the SCR file. I imagine when MAT2 is unregistered, it will only display the Prolific logo.

It's convenient when a company has many computers, they can just copy the .src file without copying other logos and setup each MAL on each computer.
It is painless to Zip up all the Logos and set them to self-extract into the correct folder.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman

Last edited by feldon34; 05-19-2004 at 11:30 AM.
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote