View Single Post
Old 06-21-2001, 01:59 AM   #274
Shinsa
Registered

Re: Wishlist

I agree with keeping the code tight. Although I'm not a "real" programmer I have done it in years gone by. Back when 4k was all you had to program with. Programmers nowadays seem to be getting pretty lazy.

But, I must disagree with the use of floppy disks. Floppies are now almost a waste of space. Inificiant. Too limited. Too slow. And probably soon to cost more than CDs. I can buy a pack of 50 blank CD's for $7 (just did that tonight) That's 14 cents each. I think a box of floppies is about $5 for a box of 50. So 10 cents for each floppy. That extra 4 cents sure goes a LONG way!

Using a CD would be much more logical. Allowing for larger programming (if needed, for extra backgrounds, more fish, different sounds, even removing compression that might distort sound or graphics). Not to mention allowing for other programs, utilities, "advertising", or other demos. Even something as useful as a system self test to help troubleshoot the PC could be included.

As for the concern to keep it available for EVERYONE to use, on a standard media.... Well, I can't think of any 3D card that doesn't REQUIRE a CD-rom drive, just to install its own drivers. AND... I know several people who did not even bother to include a flppy drive on their PC's. They have a bootable CD-ROM, and have no need for 3.5" disks. Matter of fact, everyone I know would rather have software on a CD rather than a floppy, just for convienience sake.

I too, have been to many "third world" countries. ALL of them have similar systems that we have. I've been to the U.K., Spain, Saudi, Turkey, Korea... I was impressed with how some 3rd world nationals have so much in technology. Heck, I don't have a cell phone. Many people I know here in the USA don't have cell phones. EVERYONE I knew in Korea and Turkey had cell phones!

So, Jim, please don't limit your creativity just because you want it to fit on a floppy. Keep programming the right way, nice tight code, but allow yourself to add what will make this program what it can be, without limitations! Just because the zipped file size is greater than 1.38 MB doesn't mean it is sloppy. Digital sound and graphics do make for larger file sizes. And you have done a commendable job keeping the code from getting sloppy.

Bob -=> getting off his little soap box <=-

Just think - What would the Sistine Chapel look like if Michelangelo Buonarroti would only paint on a canvas that was 3' x 4'?
Bob

"When you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."