View Single Post
Old 10-10-2008, 08:37 PM   #19
bolkar
Registered

Suggestions after testing the beta

Amazing job Jim,
I was dazzled with 2.6 when I first saw it, but this one is breath taking.
I am running it on my 30" 2560x1600 screen, with 30 fish at 111fps (I have a Nvidia 8800 Ultra).

Since I have been following the development of version 3 quietly, I am aware of the extensive list of items you would be adding. Therefore; I am basing my comments to this beta version;

- The textures look a bit blurry on my screen. Especially the stretched alpha channels for the background items. I know I am using it at a very high resolution, but with bigger screens are getting more and more common, I think it makes sense to have higher res textures, both for the fish and the background items. After all, I already saw a QuadHD TV on sale this week with a resolution of 3840x2160. I assume with the development cycle of version 3, we would be using this for many many years, if not a decade. So, high res textures makes sense for todays and tomorrows higher res displays.

-The limit for the number of fish (which is 30) could be a bit more flexible. I mean with my resolution and fps, it is clear that the number of fish is not a resource issue.

-I believe it would be great, if there is a way to control the size of the background corals and such (not individually, but all together). I can imagine running version 3 on my 60" TV with corals taking 20% of the screen height at the bottom, instead of taking 60%. That way, I can include more fish (someone said a hundred?). Also related with this item, I think it would be great to be able to select fish size too. I see these 2 options as 2 sliders (just like the buble sound) where you set the overal size. That will give great customization opportunity for the Serene freaks like myself

-Also, do you plan on making fish size vary? I mean something like +-10%, it will help when you have more than 1 of the same fish type. Are we going to have baby fish? Will they grow over time? I know I am asking too much.

Thanks again for the hard work.
Bolkar
-
bolkar is offline   Reply With Quote