View Single Post
Old 04-16-2009, 11:56 PM   #604
Jeff68005
Registered

I just received 3.0 and am pleasantly shocked by the improvements over 99L and 1.1.

I am especially pleased:
to be able to select to turn off certain fish.
to select any number of fish up to 30. ( I was at 7)
The seabed moves to enhance the screen saver objective to avoid "burn in" That makes it worth the wait. "Burn in" risk was a major reason that I put it away previously.
I am getting some black/white pattern flicker at the very bottom... below the seabed floor to the edge of the screen. If this is on purpose, then it comes under avoiding "burn in" and is not a major distraction once you get used to it.

System: Gigabyte GA8-PE800Ultra P4 2.66 533 Scoket 478
3 sticks total 1 Gig (PC2700) PNY 333 memory
Original XP updated on line to SP3 and all updates.
ATI 7500 video card with microsoft updated driver.
HP w2207h wide screen Flat-Panel Monitor. (recent purchase)

---------------------

Comment/Suggestion:

By observation, I have found this screen saver qualifies as a real test of the cooling of my CPU, etc. I typically run in the low to mid 30s in everyday operation / idle.
Version 3.0 (great eye candy) with 30 fish, no starfish, no crystal and no barbed fish will run my CPU up into the low or mid 40s. I have added a couple of case fans (9 total) to insure a safe and happy operation. I can see this burning out somebody's system who has no idea about internal temps due to CPU operating at or near capacity. I mean who thinks about CPU power when a screen saver is running? Most people think of the PC as being "at rest".

Therefore suggestion for an add-on package in place of the clock:
CPU temps and percentage of CPU ability in use. See Speedfan software for example. To avoid "burn in" the crystal could change color as the unit heats up and settles down. User set temp alarm would also go a long way to temp additional purchasers like me. If you like the idea, it's yours in exchange for an email letting me know when to send you money for the add-on routine.
Jeff68005 is offline   Reply With Quote