View Single Post
Old 02-18-2009, 02:12 PM   #439
Dale
Banned

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
Beta9c news - I got bogged down in text-string stuff (one of my least-favorite things in the world). Every line of new code seems to require 10 lines of error-checking. The problem is in reading the Playlist and Logolist files. Originally, I was going to hide these in the Registry, but now that they are out in the open, people can monkey with them.

Take the Logolist, for example. It consists of file names of pictures (including the complete path to the file), followed by a comma, a space, the number of seconds to display that picture, and a carriage return. The user could theoretically add names manually, though it would be a lot of typing with the paths and all. My routine has to read through the list and build an array of filenames and durations. If someone has disrupted the order of information in the list, the possibilities for errors, endless loops, and crashing bugs are almost infinite.  
I presume you would do (essentially) the same level of checking if the data were "hidden" in the Registry.
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote