View Single Post
Old 04-29-2003, 06:47 AM   #45
BigScreen
Registered

Originally posted by Jim Sachs
PayPal takes a huge cut of the profits. I couldn't afford them when I was selling the Aquarium, and apparently Prolific can't either.
Hmmm....

PayPal's current fees are:

Merchant Rate: 2.2% + $.30
Standard Rate: 2.9% + $.30

http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr...eiving-outside

So, on a $20 purchase, these would be the fees:

Merchant Rate: $0.74
Standard Rate: $0.88

Granted, there are additional fees for international payments, but can 4.4% (standard rate fee) transaction fee be considered a huge cut of the profits? From what I remember of discussions here, the retail package incurred a much higher cost of sale.

Maybe their fees were higher previous to a year ago when I started using them to accept payments for our VIP Service, but I find PayPal to be an acceptable route to receiving payments, especially when compared with taking paper checks and/or money orders.

I had thought that processing credit cards directly might be a good next step for my site, but based on the frustration here with the various idiosyncrasies of that method, perhaps I'll put that off for a while...

Honestly, I'm hesitant to hand out my credit card information to every web site offering products. I'd much rather pay for things via PayPal, but that's probably because I already have an account set up.

I read somewhere that it is in a merchant's best interest to remove as many of the obstacles to the sale as possible, giving the buyer few reasons to abandon the sale before completion. That's why I accept money orders via USPS, even though I don't want to hassle with bank deposits, incorrect information, etc. PayPal payments are maybe something for Prolific to consider to widen the choice of payment methods for its customers.
Scott J.
Publisher of The BigScreen Cinema Guide
BigScreen is offline   Reply With Quote