Thread: Feature Request Ubuntu (or Linux) version
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2020, 05:40 AM   #32
IanD
Registered

Another successful user of MA 3 on Linux Mint 18.3 with Wine here.

As mentioned before, sound requires DirectMusic to operate and I achieved this by using Winetricks to install the required library files.

I no longer run a Windows machine, so it was great to be able to get this amazing application to run under Linux.

In the thread about Linux, it is mentioned that there is no interest in creating a version of MA for Linux because of the perceived lack of interest in Linux users paying for software. However there is another post mentioning that Roku have ported MA to their 4K devices, which are basicly Linux machines, so obviously work has been done in porting to Linux. Perhaps what was meant was that MA has been ported to Linux running on ARM and similar CPU (as has been done with Android which is also an ARM based Linux-like system AFAIK) but has not been ported to i386 based CPU running Linux.

Maybe someone can clarify the actual situation.

I have been hoping I can get MA 3 running on a tiny computer as a fixed function virtual marine aquarium on a large screen TV, such as one of the cheap ARM computer sticks, but it's a work in progress. The Windows compute sticks would likely work better for this application, but they are still quite expensive.

Without checking through all the posts on the Forum, I get the impression that the music that was included in earlier versions of MA Windows is either no longer supported or else not supported in non-Windows operating systems. I would appreciate if someone could clarify the situation with the background music as well.
IanD is offline   Reply With Quote