View Single Post
Old 04-23-2006, 12:43 PM   #9
Inspector Dryfish
Registered

Originally posted by handimannbob:
i, and some friends i asked don't agree totally with what ad and jim say. all those nice backgrounds in other savers look great, but after a short while THEY are just pretty pictures. i, and those i asked say after a short while eyes are mostly on the FISHES, not the background.... sooo, how about a new 2-d background to add as a choice, to keep it FRESH, as u say. take a poll and i bet people would be glad to pay for it........lmao....sure it would still be out of date BUT....  
I think Jim has mentioned many times that it took him a year to paint the existing background. So, even if he started now...

Meanwhile, I've been running mostly DreamAquarium lately.
Aesthetically, I like that background a bit less than the MarineAquarium background, but I really like how the DA fish are becoming so lifelike in their movements, and how they interact with the _moving_ DA background. Schooling, pecking and nibbling, darting among the weeds. Meanwhile, MA fish behavior is the equivelent of solitary pacing... they're wearing grooves in the water. Mind you, they look damn pretty doing it. :-)

With all the recent and ongoing improvements, DA is leaving MA in the dust.
However, that's the word from somebody who has been buying and fiddling with fishtank screensavers for a while.

The thing to consider, from the user perspective, is that the damn things are just screensavers, after all - something that you might idly watch when not doing something at the computer. Or, they are something for other people to watch when we are away from our desks. Beyond the natural ego-massage for the artist of having his work on a bunch of screens and appreciated, what the creators and marketers really care about is NEW purchases.

You and I have already paid our money, and aren't likely to pay again soon. The only affect we have on decisions by potential purchasers is if our comments are viewed by people shopping for an aquarium screensaver. To them, it's all new and fresh. To them it doesn't matter how old or static the product might appear in the eyes of someone who's seen it for months or years.... unless we seem to be badmouthing, and turn off some prospective buyers.

On the third hand, the very fact that the product seems to have generated a cult-ish following might be attractive to some.

Kevin
Inspector Dryfish is offline   Reply With Quote