View Single Post
Old 09-28-2006, 07:16 PM   #29
rschuh
Registered

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
There has always been a lot of confusion even among the experts between the Queen and Blue. At the juvenile stage I chose to use (just losing its stripes and no crown showing yet), it could be either one. Several people in the past have thought it was a Blue, but no one has ever said, "It's a Blue because ______".  

Hi Jim,
May I first say thank you for your incredible product. For somone like myself who has been involved with the marine industry for 35 years to love it really means something. I posted 2 photos in an earlier post, so check them out. The other way to check is that the queen has slightly longer tips on the end of it's top and bottom fins and the bars are more curved. The blue has slightly shorter fin tips and the bars are more straight. The wild card here is the Townsend's Angel, which is a natural hybrid of the 2 that we used to come across quite often. We used to see them on occasion in the reefs and used to get them in the various aquarium stores that I have worked in and with in the past. I used to sell a top quality protein skimmer to stores in S. FL from Boca Raton to Miami and was in and out of shops all the time. I was in a store once where they received 4 juvenile Townsend's at the same time. All of us were stumped initially, but we called one of the pros from Dover at U. of Miami and he shot probably 200 photos and a month later confirmed that all were Townsend's. He said it was the first time that anyone had seen that many all together at once. No matter which one they are, both the queen and blue angel juveniles are gorgeous fish. I had a show size adult queen in a 300 gallon tank back in the 80s and it was just breath taking. I had set that tank up as an angel only tank and was able to keep 9 species of angel with no fighting by introducing each new fish with each new one being larger than the previous fish in the tank. My prize of the tank was a mid juvenile Clarion Angel. They are now next to impossible to get and can sell for as high as $10,000.00, but back in the 80s, we had access to Clarions all the time and he only cost me $400.00 back then. That was a VERY pricey fish back in 1988! :-) Keep up the good work.

Thanks

Rob
rschuh is offline   Reply With Quote