View Single Post
Old 03-10-2001, 09:46 AM   #1
BitBasher
Registered

Aquarium "Tweaking" Trick

Several months ago, Jim mentioned to me that if I press the undocumented "N" key while the program is running, I might be able to milk a few more FPS out of the progam.

I just installed V.99G, and I ran it, and pressed "S" to show my FPS rating. It was 56fps. Then I pressed the "N" key, and it jumped up to 85fps and boy did the fish start swimming smooooothly!

I'm running at 1280x1024 on an Asus-V6600 (GeForce) video card on a 650MHz PIII system. I must say that 85fps is pretty darn good at my high-res setting.

Supposedly pressing the "N" key toggles some "time-expensive" calculations on and off. The quality is supposed to be a little less, but certainly can't see any differences in quality, only in the speed.

So, try it on your Aquarium program, and see if you can get possibly better performance by pressing the "N" key. I think the newer versions of the Aquarium default to the faster "N" setting, but if you accidentally pressed the "N" key, you might be running in the slower mode. Pressing the "N" on two other different systems didn't make quite the same massive fps differences, YMMV.

Doug.
BitBasher is offline   Reply With Quote