View Single Post
Old 05-31-2001, 11:05 PM   #10
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Re: So where are these widescreen monitors?

If you take a Sony WEGA KV36XBR400 and connect a progressive scan DVD player to the 1080i input with high grade component Video cables. Then put in a DVD like Fantasia 2000. You will get a 16X9 1080i crystal clear photorealistic showing of the movie. If you get a chance to go to a sony store and check out that kind of setup on a XBR class WEGA tv not the FV WEGA you will be blown away. That demo is what it took for me to put down the money for the TV. What I am looking for now is a video card that can output to component video. Then i will have a huge Fish tank in living room. Funny thing is the tv weights about as much as a 36" fishtank would have
The XBR400 is Sony's only true HDTV WEGA. The rest are not HDTVs. And honestly, it's a waste of money to get that when a Mitsubishi HDTV looks just as good and costs less.

DVD is NOT 1080i. DVD is 720x480 or 480p. Playing a DVD on any kind of HDTV does look damn good, but it's certainly not 1920 x 1080. At that resolution, you could only fit about 26 minutes of video on a DVD.

If you saw Fantasia 2000 on HDTVs in a home theater-type store, I bet you a dollar to a donut that you saw the 4 minute Fantasia 2000 HD reel on DirecTV's HDTV demo channel. That 4 minute clip most certainly is 1920 x 1080 and looks absolutely stunning!! It blows away the DVD, which already looked awesome on its own.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote