View Single Post
Old 12-24-2007, 06:41 AM   #986
LeeC22
Registered

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
LeeC22 - Welcome to the Forum. ... Being self-taught, I tend to only learn the very specific routines which will bring my graphics to life, and have had to come up with some pretty bizarre tricks. On the other hand, the most common routines that any C programmer should know are often unknown to me.  
Jim, thank you.

One of the things I have found over the years is that having art as a primary skill and code as secondary, allows you to sometimes consider coding techniques and methods, dedicated programmers may not have considered. It seems a great benefit sometimes to be able to consider a solution from a non-algorithmic approach. I do find coding extremely rewarding though, just in the last 2 years I have taught myself 4 new languages to help me to continue developing games.

On the fish front, are you considering behavioural(sp?) motivation for the movement patterns? I.e. bonding/shoaling in groups of similar fish, gravel/surface searching, for food, lethargy arfter prolonged use without interruption etc...?

We have just bought a pair of Black Moors and I have been astonished by their intelligence and their behaviour patterns. Recognition of lighting changes and their association with food for example. Curiosity around people around their tank, it's been an enlightening couple of months. We put in a broken urn ornament which they use at night as a resting place, because the water movement is less in there. It's incredible just how clever fish are and it would be great to see that reflected in the screen saver.

I could imagine the AI programming for this could be an amazing experience, recreating the habits and traits of specific fish types and then watching them come to life and interacting with each other.
LeeC22 is offline   Reply With Quote