Thread: 150 fps?
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2004, 07:49 PM   #1
nick c
Registered

150 fps?

Hey, I recently posted in the main forum that I am getting 150 fps while playing MP3s and surfing the web. I was asked what my 'rig' was.
I am running a 1.25 GHz G4 which comes with a 64 MB Radeon 9000 Pro graphics card. I have had sustained speeds over 180 fps a few times but I haven't messed around with it enough to know what makes the difference, although I would imagine different fish have different #s of polygons and I just had a bunch of low polygon fish up.
The old PC laptop at work gets 0.48 fps with the three demo fish. Not sure what that set-up is. I think a pentium II.

Anyone running dual G5s? What frame rate are you getting?

I recently downloaded Backlight which lets you run your screensavers as a desktop. It works great, only you can't open folders on the desktop. The Dock and pull-down menus and everything else works fine though. I wouldn't recomend it unless you are getting a pretty good frame rate already. Opening programs and when iTunes switches songs causes it to jerk a bit. Interestingly, if the program is running and I am doing things the fram rate stays high (150), but if the MA is running as the desktop, my frame rate drops to around 56-60 fps if I am word processing and listening to MP3s, with Mail and Safari open.

Apparently "Having the Aquarium as a background is not supported by this forum." [Morgan Feldon] but fyi....

Last edited by nick c; 05-20-2004 at 11:32 PM.
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote