View Single Post
Old 03-21-2001, 03:24 AM   #159
Digital Lungfish
Obey the toad!

The Sachs Aquarium WISHLIST (3D Background)

Jim,

During the creation of the 3D background, have you given any thought to making use of paralax scrolling? You know, something akin to Shadow Of The Beast on the Amiga, ahhh the good ol' days.

For those of you who were not around back then and would like to know what "paralax scrolling" is, just play any Street Fighter game or even some of the newest next gen titles like Tekken Tag on the PS2 (although the paralax in that game is a VERY bad example).

While playing one of these games, move left to right on screen and watch either the floor or the 3D backgrounds. You'll notice multiple layers are being used and each one is moving independant of the other. Basically this helps to increase the feeling of depth perception. This technique has been in use a VERY long time, it's pretty amazing to know that it was originaly used in 2D games almost 20 years ago and yet it's still in use in some of the world's most advanced 3D games today.

- DL

P.S.
Think I'll go play me some Shadow Of The Beast on my Atari Lynx.
Steve
www.tron-sector.com - www.badcartridge.com - www.classicgaming.com - www.dinofish.com
Today is the tomorrow you were worried about yesterday...
Digital Lungfish is offline   Reply With Quote