Thread: Current status
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2005, 06:35 PM   #4
alexxx
Registered

Hello, i'm new here so please be patient. Does anyone know when there will be an option to let the various species act as they would in reality?
I put that big stunningly beautiful, Lion Fish in with just 2" long tiddlers and it made no attempt to scoff them. Obviously a Lion fish in its prime is going to eat little tiddlers like that, given half a chance, is'nt it. Whilst i understand why the default is "community tank" mode, it would be better if there was the challenge that exists in real world community set up's that require a bit of skill in understanding your fish and balancing the numbers and choice of species.
The modelling here is GREAT. The lighting controls have achieved top level minutial controlability and simplicity. The Reef island set up in the middle of MA2 is well concieved, well modelled and helps to add a static element which makes the fish movement more exiting and beautiful. It could do with some waving filtering polyps though. And maybe some brine shrimp and little food fish hiding and occasionally making a dash for food. I hope that this is on the agenda for future evolution.
Although i have a stack of physical ram and software ram, i found that only allowing 17 FPS improved both the realism of fish movement, AND the Lighting Realism. 17FPS seems to be a close approximation of the frequential rate of those "Original Tropical" flurescent lights. At17FPS i found that with the front light at about 1/5th of max and with the rear light on just enough glimmer to make the background slightly Bluer than Black, it had an astonishingly close resemblance to my own Actual Aquarium.
This is the best screen saver ever, it is so good that i feel a bit guilty calling it a screensaver, because it is better than that.

It could do with some inverts though. How about a choice of a few sponges,Branchs, Sea horses,Prawns,starfish,Coral Polyps,Anenomes & Variant Giant Algae (Sea Weeds).

I intend to stick with this project and the excellent bunch behind it. What a beutious thing, to have the most exotic Life stuffed environment on our life filled little world, right there in realistic technocolour on you'r desktop!
Fantastic.

May i also add that the modelling of the various species mode of movement is exquisite. I have spent long periods at my local zoo's Aquatics dept as i go there to visit my friend Freya who is a huge Astronotus Ocellatus (Oscar) .
When i saw the size of the environment available, i realised that i could'nt justify keeping her in a large Aquarium when she could live in a huge tank the size of my whole home and half the garden. She still remembers me some 3 years later, and comes to the glass to smile at me exitedly and wag her little tail.
Eventually, would you like to see virtual fish that eat each other, mate with each other, breed and eventually die? I would.
Thankyou all for a wonderfull and exciting thing.
Best wishes, alexxx.
alexxx is offline   Reply With Quote