View Single Post
Old 03-20-2001, 08:11 PM   #2
Shinsa
Registered

re: Frame rate puzzle

To answer the frame rate puzzle you need to understand a little about the human eye. The human eye can only transmit info to the brain so fast. I do not remember the exact speed, but it would relate to about 24 Frames Per Second, hence, the reason movie film moves at that rate. Showing 24 pictures every second. In theory, anything above this a person could not see the difference. The only reason it is better to have faster frame rates is when CPU intensive activity takes place, the fps will drop. So keeping a high frame rate, lets say 200 fps would be great, if your computer had to drop half the frames to do something else at the same time. That would still leave you with 100 fps, still well over what the human eye can detect.

(one note: A computer monitor and a movie screen are completely different. I am assuming the same effect will happen here. It is possible it is different, because I can tell when my refresh rate is higher than 60 Hz or not) [anyone qualified with an answer?]

Now, in answer to your 10 fps fish. You really should see some kind of stutter or jerkiness. It may not me bad, but it should be noticeable. It would look almost strobed. The card you have should be able to show at least 30 fps, if not more. You will honestly see a difference, much more life like appearance.
Bob

"When you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."