View Single Post
Old 03-21-2001, 11:44 PM   #7
Shinsa
Registered

re frame rate puzzle

Feldon,

I concede.... I never bothered to look the info up for myself. I'm guilty of shoddy science on this one. Something that irritates me too. I was simply regurgitating what I remember reading about movies.

I, too, have noticed and can see a difference in 60 Hz and there abouts. And yes DL, it gives me a head ache too. I also made the distinction in my comment that I think there may be a difference in frame rates between a movie projector, and a computer monitor. The frame rate is the only factor in the movies, while a monitor also has to deal with flicker from the Hz.

I think from what I remember about the frame rates in movies is that the eye can only react to light at a given speed (I will not even try to guess at that). And that the movie frames are "blending" together to create a smooth affect in the human eye.

One reason for using higher frame rates though is very simple. Watch what happens in a film with a lot of action. When the movie camera moves quickly in the same direction of the shutter in the camera (I assume it is the shutter causing this) you can see a strobe effect. Its hard to describe. I have noticed it from time to time. I think faster frame rates help reduce the effect.

Double frames? I never new that....

OK, there's my completely un-educated spin on that. I'm sure to be enlightened where I am wrong, but since I really do not know much other than what I see for my self, I welcome the retort!
Bob

"When you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."