Thread: System Lockups
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2006, 05:46 PM   #47
mars_tech
Internet Holistician

Thanks for the thoughts guys. I stuck a cold (2deg C) airstream onto the cpu and gpu in turn, and gave them as long as necessary, but the hang still hit after about 2 hours approx in both cases. Then a thought struck me about the difference between the US English and International English versions of the drivers. After a spot of googling, general opinion seemed to favour older versions of the driver. I've installed/ tested/ uninstalled the latest versions of the drivers (91.47_forceware_winxp2k_international_whql) then (91.47_forceware_winxp2k_english_whql) then 91.36 then 84.21 then 81.98..... and with some help from 3Dguru.com finally settled on 76.44 which is described by many as being the last stable bugfree version. And it seems (so far) to have worked. No hangs, hiccups, etc. The temperatures seen to be as before, but now I have unchecked the "Limit frame rate" box and it still seems to be working. There has been another bonus too... there is a level of detail in the Red Lionfish that I didn't even know existed. Jim, deep respect for the quality and rendition!!
Mark
mars_tech is offline   Reply With Quote