View Single Post
Old 04-10-2009, 07:27 PM   #1
memobug
Registered

Unhappy Big trouble with Authentication

I have never had so much difficulty installing something as simple as a screensaver! Although my computer, which was purchased as a demo came from the store already running Marine Aquarium 2.6 + Time, I felt that I should support the developer, so last night when I was in Office Depot I picked up a copy of Marine Aquarium v2.6 for 20 bucks.

Then after I had reformatted the system I installed Marine Aquarium from the CD. What a mistake! The program keeps prompting me to insert the CD every time I make a change. Try to change a setting, anything at all, "Insert the CD!" If I want try to preview it goes into authentication mode and asks me to register, install an upgrade CD or a key.

On top of this whenever I eject the CD I get some Windows exception error. Finally, to add insult to injury, I find online here that to get the latest version I have to pony up another $10.

At this point I feel pretty ripped off. It's upsetting whenever DRM gets in the way of the experience, and I've spent $60 of time on a ten dollar program. I don't think I've ever not received a validation key with a program before that required validation. The idea that I am going to keep this CD handy to validate every change is ludicrous.

P.S. I tried to send these comments privately but the forum says I don't have privileges for that.

Matt
memobug is offline   Reply With Quote