View Single Post
Old 04-06-2006, 03:34 PM   #26
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by ESHIREY:
You can get even more cards if you don't want to go PCI.

For me, I won't go back to PCI. I look at it, they started out with PCI. Then they went to SLI. Then they went to AGP. Then to AGP4X then 8X. Now they went back to PCI again. IMO, I'm just waiting for when they go back to AGP again. Which trust me won't be that long.  
PCI was a great standard, just not fast enough to handle the best graphics. AGP was a stop-gap measure. It doesn't provide enough power, it conflicted with PCI sound cards, and they kept screwing around with the power requirements. Not to mention having only ONE AGP slot in computers has limited the capability of multiple monitors for years. I think a lot more people would use dual monitors if instead of a dual-head card, they can add as many PCI Express cards as they have room for.

PCI Express is the future. I just wish they'd introduced it sooner. Apple wasted a lot of time implemented a competing (and abandoned) card format PCI-X.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote